VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody.

IŽve got a PHILIPS DVR3455h since four years ago and a couple of weeks ago, all of the sudden, everytime I insert a DVD (original or not) I get the message: "NO DISC". I took my dvr to a local repair store and they didnŽt find anything wrong with my dvr (mechanisms were workink ok and input voltages were ok).

Are there any tests that can be run in order to find the problem?
    How do I test if the loader is defective?
    How do I test if the lens is defective?

IŽll appreciate a lot if anyone give me a hint, about what the problem could be.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is a DVD recorder.

Sounds like you've got a problem with the laser. You can try using a lens cleaner but you need to realize that most of the time this doesn't fix this kind of problem, but there is some small chance it might help.

You're not going to like to read this, but the truth is that manufacturers design these devices to not last forever and they expect you to just throw them away and buy a new one when they break. Since you live in Venezuela I do understand how this is not a good option for you as a replacement DVD recorder is likely to be VERY expensive there. Does Philips have a repair shop in Venezuela you can contact? I mean a Philips repair shop, not some kind of local repair store like you used. It won't be cheap to do this kind of repair at all, but maybe paying for that is better than paying for a new recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If the laser pickup unit is defective you're out of luck. Time to buy a new recorder. Most of the time this type of problem is not something the user can repair on their own. One of the few things you can do is clean the lens, but surely your repair shop would have done this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ed_1960 View Post
    IŽve got a PHILIPS DVR3455h since four years ago and a couple of weeks ago, all of the sudden, everytime I insert a DVD (original or not) I get the message: "NO DISC".

Are there any tests that can be run in order to find the problem?

IŽll appreciate a lot if anyone give me a hint, about what the problem could be.
    The dvd r/w drive in the DVDR3455H connects by an ordinary pata ide ribbon cable and 5v/12v 4-pin molex connector, the same as in many desktop computers of comparable vintage. When mine failed, I connected a lite-on desktop dvd r/w drive and it worked fine. Of course, it wouldn't fit inside the case, so I put it on top of the case and ran the ribbon cable through the back. You could use a desktop dvd r/w drive as a test in order to isolate the drive.

I assume your tech checked all the belts on the drive and blew out the dust with compressed air. Belts are a very common failure on the oem drive, especially the eject belt. Dust accumulation is a big problem too, especially after 5+ years of use without taking it all apart and blowing it out.
    Last edited by ponens; 3rd Dec 2014 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!