+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I do not know the device in question but a PCI device for $300 that can capture 1080/60p is not totally unreasonable.
    I don't believe the PCIe card can capture at full-rate 1080p60, even though it accepts the input.

Host Interface: PCI-Express x1, Low Profile, 200MB/s tranmission [sic!] bandwidth
    HD Output Formats: 40×30-2048×1536, frame rate: 1-100 fps
    Color Space: YUYV, UYVY, I420, RGB 24 Bits, RGB 32 Bits
    YUY2 1080p59.94 is 248.6 MB/s or 237MiB/s. I believe RGB32 would be double that, since YUY2 is 16 bits per pixel.
    Good catch!

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think the mftr is quoting each spec category using its independent maximum. That doesn't mean that all or even most of those can be at their max SIMULTANEOUSLY and still be under bitrate ceiling. 1080p59.94 would work if it were YV12/4:2:0 (~177MiB/sec), but you'd have to make sure that both the source & sink devices can negotiate common settings. Without negotiation coming to an agreement, it wouldn't work.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I do not know the device in question but a PCI device for $300 that can capture 1080/60p is not totally unreasonable.
    I don't believe the PCIe card can capture at full-rate 1080p60, even though it accepts the input.

Host Interface: PCI-Express x1, Low Profile, 200MB/s tranmission [sic!] bandwidth
    HD Output Formats: 40×30-2048×1536, frame rate: 1-100 fps
    Color Space: YUYV, UYVY, I420, RGB 24 Bits, RGB 32 Bits
    YUY2 1080p59.94 is 248.6 MB/s or 237MiB/s. I believe RGB32 would be double that, since YUY2 is 16 bits per pixel.
    The card would need a PCIe x1 (Gen2) interface instead to capture 1080p60 as 1080p60 and RGB 4:4:4 . (Wikipedia says that interface carries 500 MB/s.) I know of a 1080p60 capture card using that interface, the MicomSoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, a rather famous card used for capturing video games, one of the first able to capture 1080p60 video as 1080p60. Apparently it can capture RGB 4:4:4 with alternate drivers.
    http://www.thethrillness.com/2014/01/micomsoft-sc-512n1-ldvi-capture-card.html
    http://www.thethrillness.com/2014/01/1080p60-lossless-capture.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Dec 2014 at 07:31.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was going to generate a new thread for the following but since it's pretty much in keeping with HDMI (HDCP) capture hardware figure might as well keep rolling.

Although I am getting a Colossus for the ease of no post-processing I did generate another idea to supplement my capping desire. There will be a small number of either cable or axillary captures that I'd like the option of editing via VirtualDub/AVISynth (or other editors). Researching this I found the following inexpensive cap card >> YK761H PCI-E Grabber. Figured for the price it could be worth the try to see if it (or similar) could capture to a lossless codec such as Huffyuv or UT Video since it is Directshow compatible. Interestingly enough the card is also capable of MPEG-2 capture. Doesn't state whether it's hardware or software though, if hardware, not sure I'd expect much.

It's been nearly 10 years since my other life and the thousands of captures and encodes I performed using a BT8 WinTV cap card and VirtualDub/AVISynth. What would be interesting to know is if the card listed above is capable of that type of capture and whether any of the 3rd-party PVR software can be configured for AVI/lossless capturing. The latter is really not that important since, as noted earlier, these few captures will probably be monitored anyhow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    I found the following inexpensive cap card >> YK761H PCI-E Grabber. Figured for the price it could be worth the try to see if it (or similar) could capture to a lossless codec such as Huffyuv or UT Video since it is Directshow compatible.
    If you get one please report back what you find.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    It's been nearly 10 years since my other life and the thousands of captures and encodes I performed using a BT8 WinTV cap card and VirtualDub/AVISynth. What would be interesting to know is if the card listed above is capable of that type of capture and whether any of the 3rd-party PVR software can be configured for AVI/lossless capturing. The latter is really not that important since, as noted earlier, these few captures will probably be monitored anyhow.
    I don't think it will be easy to find Windows PVR software that supports an HDMI capture-only device that uses software for encoding. Most Windows PVR software only supports TV tuner cards (with or without analog capture), in general. Digital tuners have the best support. Analog tuner/capture devices are less well supported in recent PVR software. All of the capture-only devices with third party PVR support that I know of are HD capture devices made by Hauppauge that hardware encode and produce a H.264 transport stream, similar to what a TV card would produce if it tuned a channel broadcasting H.264 video. They have support because either the PVR software's developer has made a special effort to add support for these devices or someone wrote a plugin to make it appear that the capture device is a digital TV tuner.

I think MythTV might support some pure capture devices that software encode, but it is only for those running Linux.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Dec 2014 at 10:20. Reason: accuracy. Not all the capture devices I was writong about are cards.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies!

@jagabo
    Will definitely provide feedback if I do get one of these budget Chinese cards.

@usually_quiet
    It does seem Hauppauge is out front in supporting versatility. Good thing is if I do get one of these cards as a supplemental capture device manual activation would not be an inconvenience.

Would still be interested in hearing from someone that has had direct experience (or even hearsay) regarding lossless AVI capturing with one of these cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It should work. There is no MPEG-2 chip on the board, and support for "MPEG-1/2/WMV" also implies software compression.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I think the mftr is quoting each spec category using its independent maximum. That doesn't mean that all or even most of those can be at their max SIMULTANEOUSLY and still be under bitrate ceiling. 1080p59.94 would work if it were YV12/4:2:0 (~177MiB/sec), but you'd have to make sure that both the source & sink devices can negotiate common settings.
    Oh, my eyes flew past "I420". You must be right. Feels like a shady way to list them.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!