VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Can you make these transitional effects in Sony Vegas with a plug-in or something similar?

Last edited by lonrot; 21st Nov 2014 at 22:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably don't need external plugins. Looks like plain wipes and directional blurs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Probably don't need external plugins. Looks like plain wipes and directional blurs
    Thank you, I just found two third party transtions (BCC Swish Pan and Newblue Smear) for the slide blur effect.

However still haven't found anything for the diffused page turn effect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lonrot View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Probably don't need external plugins. Looks like plain wipes and directional blurs
    Thank you, I just found two third party transtions (BCC Swish Pan and Newblue Smear) for the slide blur effect.

However still haven't found anything for the diffused page turn effect.

It might be easier for someone to buy a plugin (fewer clicks), but these can be done with vegas's internal tools.

Is "diffused page turn" referring to the diagonal transition ? It's just a linear wipe transition. Or you can even do this with a mask reveal, blur the edge to "feather" it .
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Basically, EVERY nle can do these effects.

Next question?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Vegas can do these. TrackMotion and Gradient Transition. There's more going on there than meets the eye though. That wipe has a custom edge. And there's some stop motion cutouts moving. Looks like pro work.

In Vegas "Swish Pan" is done with Linear blur FX.

Last edited by budwzr; 22nd Nov 2014 at 00:30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you're still feeling your way around vegas - there are a gazillion step by step tutorials on youtube and various sites. Sometimes it's just finding the correct description key words to search for. Sometimes the terms used are slightly different in different NLE's and other video oriented programs.

But really that's one of the strong points about vegas that doesn't get mentioned too often - large user base . Often there are 3 or 4 different ways to do the same thing, with slight variations, often someone will have a neat tip or trick that even experienced users never knew about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Yes, Vegas can do these. TrackMotion and Gradient Transition.
    Thank you, that's exactly it! Gradient Wipe (Linear Top Diagonal).

Yes, TrackMotion with a directional blur, but it can be too much work for repeated use.

Basically, EVERY nle can do these effects.

Next question?

Scott
    Cornucopia you are always so kind ♥
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SwishPan. Linear Blur. You have to animate it though, and save it as a preset.

Last edited by budwzr; 22nd Nov 2014 at 00:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can save all custom FX as Presets. Look for the little disk icon. You can even save the whole chain as a preset. Then your custom FX will also show up in the Presets FX list and you can drag and drop it.

Also, all the existing canned FX can be customized and saved as new presets. You can build up tons of custom FX that you never have to scratch your head to make again.

FX can be applied across events, entire tracks, or globally on the Video Buss Track..
    Last edited by budwzr; 22nd Nov 2014 at 00:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I was pacing myself.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    You can save all custom FX as Presets. Look for the little disk icon. You can even save the whole chain as a preset. Then your custom FX will also show up in the Presets FX list and you can drag and drop it.
    Couldn't replicate this in a single track motion parent, if the child track is panned outside the work area it cannot be introduced back inside the parent track.
    I can do this by matching both parent and child tracks, yet I have no idea how to merge tracks, keyframes and effects as a single custom preset. Boris Swish Pan looks promising but the price is 695 USD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you create the fx on the parent track level?

BCC is a plugin for Vegas, so it works under the same workflow in Vegas. Try the trial and see if its any different then. Im about to go on holiday so my mind is tied up now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. 695$ for a transition !?!? Surely that includes other things, like the kitchen sink ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    695$ for a transition !?!? Surely that includes other things, like the kitchen sink ?
    Yes it's a bundle, kitchen sink included. As for Vegas they only sell all existing plugins together.
    Last edited by lonrot; 22nd Nov 2014 at 12:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Send in your .veg file for examination.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Send in your .veg file for examination.
    Sure, the project is attached in this post.

Here's how it looks:

Both tracks were scaled down to fit together, animation and linear blur are applied inside the parent track.

Still have no idea how to make a custom preset out of this.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by lonrot; 22nd Nov 2014 at 12:40.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Still have no idea how to make a custom preset out of this.
    Hello?

Quote Quote  
  19. I don't think you can save it as a preset like that, because of the keyframes (if you do it with track motion or pan/crop)

Red Giant has a free swish pan transition (for vegas, premiere, ae, fcpx) , but you have to sign up/email if you're not already a member
    http://www.redgiant.com/store/universe/products/tool/transitions
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I don't think you can save it as a preset like that, because of the keyframes (if you do it with track motion or pan/crop)

Red Giant has a free swish pan transition (for vegas, premiere, ae, fcpx) , but you have to sign up/email if you're not already a member
    http://www.redgiant.com/store/universe/products/tool/transitions
    Thank you poison, I'm having an eyegasm.

The track motion trick is nice specially for being realtime but this is a transition and looks stunning.

Quote Quote  
  21. hahaha you're inducing some readers to have a seizure right now :P

If anyone knows how to save full processing chain with keyframes as a preset in vegas in general , (or otherwise) I'd like to know how .

There are different ways you can achieve similar effects, but I don't think there is a workaround for automating/reducing the the number of clicks by saving it as a preset, maybe a script
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 22nd Nov 2014 at 18:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Although little relevance here, you can easily modify an existing transition in Aviutl and save as a preset.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	transition.gif
Views:	952
Size:	1,003.2 KB
ID:	28731  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  23. ^yes aviutl is good free option . Another free one is avisynth, but harder to use for most people

vcmohan's transall plugin , transpush() with some mvtools motion blur
    Click image for larger version

Name:	avisynth.gif
Views:	902
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	28735
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Yes the power of Avisynth never ceases to amaze me. While we are on transitions, might as well make it interesting.........
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trans.gif
Views:	921
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	28743  

Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!