VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I'm looking for a camcorder to convert to full spectrum use, (IR use) for wildlife videoing. but I need it to be noiseless, ie no sounds given off when any type of switching done and also does not auto close down due to not using

any ideas would be most welcome

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most DSLR's stop videoing after a period. A true video camera will go until battery dies but I haven't found a video camera that was completely silent. What I do is move slightly away from the wildlife and use a telephoto. That way they do not hear the camera running. I have a pocket cam that I use when coming up to an animal that is close. It is less noisy but not a true video camea. I notice most animals just look at me. The really slight noise doesn't seem to bother the animals.

Here's one that I did yesterday of a bobcat using the pocket camera.

http://youtu.be/-NuwX-mGIuI
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice video, TreeTops. I also like carrying a camera when I walk in the woods just for that reason....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Most DSLR's stop videoing after a period. A true video camera will go until battery dies but I haven't found a video camera that was completely silent. What I do is move slightly away from the wildlife and use a telephoto. That way they do not hear the camera running. I have a pocket cam that I use when coming up to an animal that is close. It is less noisy but not a true video camea. I notice most animals just look at me. The really slight noise doesn't seem to bother the animals.

Here's one that I did yesterday of a bobcat using the pocket camera.

http://youtu.be/-NuwX-mGIuI
    Nice.

I beg you to move away from handheld, I understand a tripod may not always be feasible but at least use a monopod. By the way your exposure is a bit too high.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was on a ATV and had camera in my pocket when I spotted this bobcat. No time to use any kind of a tripod. But I agree that using a tripod would have made this video smother, especially when on max telephoto like I was using. I do not see the exposure problem on my monitor. Camera was on auto exposure and auto white balance.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm finding that camcorders tend to make like a ping noise when certain operations are made, and I really want one that doesn't switch off so it can be used as a viewerwhen using IR at night.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by IR starter View Post
    I'm finding that camcorders tend to make like a ping noise when certain operations are made, and I really want one that doesn't switch off so it can be used as a viewerwhen using IR at night.
    Beep and power saver are user selectable menu items in almost all camcorders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One option I've used: http://buymobius.com/pages/mobius-actioncam-specifications

They are about $80US, so if one gets destroyed, not a huge problem.
    With a external battery pack and a 64GB microSD card, I get about 11 hours of HD video.
    It is split into 4GB sections as the SD card is using Fat32 formatting.

This is a short clip right from the camera. It was mounted on a Polaris ORV.
    The 'jello' effect was an early flexing mount issue, and along with the part
    of the roll cage showing on the upper right has since been corrected.

http://files.videohelp.com/u/26161/Sample.mov
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure how many of these cams are truly IR-sensitive, though...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Not sure how many of these cams are truly IR-sensitive, though...

Scott
    Yes, and he apparently needs a viewfinder. The cameras I linked are better for stationary
    game trail videos.
    Quote Quote  
  11. thank you, the set up I'm looking for is to give a visible 'picture' of an area between 2m and 15m away while I'm waiting for the animal to appear at night. and then to be able to video it. hence for it not to keep switching off. I have trail cameras using 940nm IR that I have used to pinpoint the area. any white light tends to scare it off. If I can't by a camcorder that does this I know someone who converts standard camcorders to full spectrum that works with 940nm IR
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Let us know who, some of us (me included) might be interested...
    (pm me if necessary)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good info, thanks. There are long range infrared illuminators available, though I have no idea if they would be visible to animals.
    A few for reference: http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/infrared-illuminators

Most video cameras have a good range in IR. A IR filter may help a bit also.
    I would also suggest a IR filter for any IR illuminator as they mostly aren't filtered that well.

If you are just looking for a low light B+W camera, I've used this one successfully for surveillance with just moon light for illumination.
    http://www.supercircuits.com/security-cameras/fixed-security-cameras/super-low-light-b...era-pc164cex-2
    Last edited by redwudz; 21st Nov 2014 at 23:56.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Forgot to mention that most game cameras also do a fairly good job of IR. The results will of course be in black and white. Our game cameras here at the ranch pick up game at night up to 30 feet away from the camera. Most of the new game cameras also do video but ours are older and only do stills in bursts of 5 shots about 1/2 second apart. The big advantage of using a game camera is that they are designed to last months on a set of batteries and only are activated when something comes within range of the motion detector. The trick is to get a game camera that activates instantly. Some take seconds to activate and you loose the game shot. You get what you pay for in those cameras.

Game cameras are silent.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 22nd Nov 2014 at 14:30.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!