VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some reason it's not letting me post a link to my sample. I keep getting "you don't have permission".
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I don't have time to fiddle with this right now. Trying to do everything with 1 mask will invariably be worse, but it's less work than making a mask per scene.
    I can wait until you do have time. I'm in no rush and I know your generally good at your suggestions. I will gladly wait for a full script to use from you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Here is the video after a slight surface (edge aware) blur.

[Attachment 28636 - Click to enlarge]

What was the script you used on it if you don't mind me asking?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Digimon Fusion Preview.mkv

Well, that's the result from my script, encoded to the same bitrate as newpballs file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Here is the video after a slight surface (edge aware) blur.

[Attachment 28636 - Click to enlarge]

What was the script you used on it if you don't mind me asking?
    I did not use Avisynth, I am not aware of a surface (edge aware) blur filter for Avisynth. Sapphire provides plugins for various NLE's to do an edge aware blur but that product is rather expensive but Photoshop has surface blur. The small sample was actually rendered in Photoshop.

Quote Quote  
  6. I suppose removing the horizontal lines from that video is of academic interest. But it has such jerky motion from duplicate and missing frames it's unwatchable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks as though it's been through Srestore or something, although whatever it was missed a blended frame as the creature stands up.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I don't have time to fiddle with this right now. Trying to do everything with 1 mask will invariably be worse, but it's less work than making a mask per scene.
    I can wait until you do have time. I'm in no rush and I know your generally good at your suggestions. I will gladly wait for a full script to use from you.
    I don't have much more to offer. I think the big message here is to use masks to improve your results, especially with cartoons, and also the importance of dithering. Denoising is easy. Retaining "wanted" details is more difficult

If you want "1 masks fits all" you have to tweak the settings so it does ok across different scenes. The one posted here does a decent job on what you posted - feel free to play with the settings to get better coverage

The last thing is using proper encoding settings. If you just encode without paying attention, you will re-introduce similar artifacts
    Quote Quote  
  9. Regarding the horizontal lines, Jim Casaburi's 2d Cleaner filter for VirtualDub does pretty well. It's probably similar to newpball's surface blur filter but with a limited window size. Unfortunately, it requires conversion to RGB32.

It also reduces some of the banding. Following up with gradfun2dbmod() takes care of most of that.

Code:
    ######################################
    # 2D Cleaner by Jim Casaburi #
    # optk7 by Jaan Kalda #
    #Threshol (0-255) #
    #Radi around source pixel #
    #The values must satisfy #
    #X and Y <=10 and (2x+1)(2y+1)<=121 #
    #Either value, but not both may be 0 #

function VD_2DCleaneropt(clip clip, int "threshold", int "rx", int "ry", bool "interlaced")
    {
      LoadVirtualdubPlugin("G:\Program Files\Virtualdub\plugins\2dcleanopt_k7.vdf", "_VD_2DCleaneropt")
      return clip._VD_2DCleaneropt(default(interlaced,false)?1:0,default(threshold,10),default(rx,2),default(ry,2))
    }

ffVideoSource("Digimon Fusion Preview-002.mkv") 
    ConvertToRGB32(matrix="rec709")
    VD_2DCleaneropt(5, 3, 7, false)
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709")
    Gradfun2dbmod()
    If you're using multithreaded AviSynth the filter requires mode 3 or higher.

It looks like someone has an adaption of 2dCleaner for AviSynth. I haven't been able to find it yet (dead link to the zip file):
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070901223731/http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/kiraru2002/#2dcleanyuy2
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Nov 2014 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I got the YV12 version of 2dCleanYUY2 from here:
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/2DCleanYUY2

Invoking it with:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("Digimon Fusion Preview-002.mkv") 
    _2DCleanYUY2(interlaced=0, thresholdY=3, radiusX=3, radiusY=8, dmode=0, thresholdU=3, thresholdV=3)
    MergeChroma(last,aWarpSharp(depth=10)) #sharpen chroma a little
    Gradfun2dbmod()
    delivered slightly better results than my earlier script using the VirtualDub plugin. The dmode option (highlights edges for debugging) didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn, and other than the fact that encoding a step with UTLossless 709 altered the colours a bit I figured mine was almost equal to your last one. Does this version still severely damage the creatures mouth and his watch in the first frame???

I guess I'll have to check.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 20th Nov 2014 at 07:45.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Does this version still severely damage the creates mouth and his watch in the first frame???
    I think it still does a little more damage to those low contrast details than your script -- though it's a bit hard to tell because your levels are lower and noise higher. The problem with this "edge sensitive blur" is that blurring the horizontal lines blurs low contrast detail too. You can lower the edge threshold in the blur filter but then some of the lines start coming back. For example, changing thresholdY to 2 restores most of the mouth and watch details but then some of horizontal lines come back. One might consider that a fair tradeoff though.

When I was playing with the VirtualDub filter reducing the width argument lower than 3 lessened the vertical blur for some reason. That doesn't seem to happen with the AviSynth version so changing radiusX to 0 will protect vertical lines better.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Nov 2014 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

Apache Server at forum.videohelp.com Port 80

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/bqch2qbmrxqc56b/Digimon_Fusion_Preview.mkv

-Edit- OK then, I guess I'm not allowed to post ONLY the link.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!