VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. LED lightning is now widely used, practical and cheaper than before in many fields including video/film work. The other day I was looking at this type of light fixtures:
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Tech-Single-Pedestal-Light/dp/B00FQJRF6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF...D++work+lights
    And began thinking if something like it could be adapted to make an inexpensive light kit for video. I had already seen (and used) halogen flood lights (work lights) like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Zone-Pz-1002-Portable-Worklight/dp/B000KKJTA2/ref=sr_1_3?i...en++worklights
    Halogen work lights have been popular among (very) low budget video/film makers for a while and in youtube you can find a lot of examples of people modifying them to mimic professional lights (adding light stands, barndoors, filters, etc)
    Since LEDs have a number of advantages over halogen (less power consumption and heat, longer life, etc) it seemed logical (to me at least) to perform similar modifications in order to use them for video work. But I haven´t found many useful videos of examples on the subject or spoken to people who could have done it. So I was wondering if any members here have successfully used this kind of lights. Of course there are issues like LEDs´ color temp and such, but without considering that, do you think they could work?, the problems I´d actually worry about have to do with flickering issues, audible buzzing (from the built in ballast or power supply), etc...
    (and no, I´m in no way publicizing any given product, I just used those as examples and they were among the first to show in a search)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are already a number of video lighting companies that put out LED-based light kits for video. They DO work. And there are many benefits.

However, PER UNIT OF LIGHT output, they're still quite more expensive compared to either tungsten/halogen, or even CFL lamps. I believe that will change when a critical mass of usage has kicked in the economies of scale for their production.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Also beware of the 'consistency' of the light they produce. Pro lights run from power units that give a steady and regulated output, that means the LED brightness (once warmed up) stays pretty much the same. The cheaper portable floodlights use much simpler power units and may even strobe at 100Hz or 120Hz (50Hz or 60Hz AC power). That's too fast for our eyes to notice but devastating to video where it strobes with the shutter speed.

They also produce much more UV light so even the 'warm' color temperature types, which look natural may produce skewed color rendition in a camera pick up.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Cornucopia
    Hi Scott, well, as usual you ´re right. But the idea came to me because for years I´ve been using "pro" lights (HDMI, halogen, fluorescent, etc), but always renting them (or provided by the clients, etc) so I´ve a more or less good idea of how/why to use each type. But every once in a while I do smaller jobs for little or no profit, personal projects, etc...and as much as I´d like to purchase a good quality light kit (lowels are amongst my favorites), right now I can´t afford to and since sometimes I´ve been able to make do with non-professional lights (or whatever people call them, such as energy saving fluorescent lightbulbs made for home use) with surprinsingly good results, that´s why I been playing with this LED flood light idea for a two or three point light kit, something simple and not to light a large area, more like, for example interviews and such.

@betwixt
    Good point, that strobe effect is mostly what I´m afraid of, not so much the UV issue as part of my "plan" involves using color correction gels or filters. I think I´ll buy one unit first, record some tests and see what happens, if the results are somehow acceptable (I´m not expecting "broadcast quality" results anyway) I´ll proceed with the plan, if not, at least I´ll use the light somewhere around the house.
    In any case I´ll report the results. It could be useful for someone else.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!