VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. In Ripbot 1.18.1, I use this setting for Rip BD source to 800 MB mkv: High4.1, very slow, film

Code:
    --level 4.1 --preset veryslow --tune film --aud --nal-hrd vbr --vbv-bufsize 62500 --vbv-maxrate 62500
    and windows task manager during encoding is :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripbot1.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	28327

and System Feature :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripbot2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	28328

.................................................. ...........
    Why Ripbot don't use whole power of CPU ? is there any way to solve this problem ?
    Encoding a 800 mb mkv takes 5 hours, is it normal ?
    Last edited by vivabarca; 2nd Nov 2014 at 17:41.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In a 2 pass encode, pass one doesn't normally use the full CPU resources. But when you run pass two, it should be very close to 100% CPU, at least it is on my PC during an encode.

My settings for a Blu-ray to MKV conversion is a two pass encode, size set to 7900MB, H.264 MKV with AC3 6 channel audio at 640 Kbps. Everything else at default.

My last BD>MKV encode took about 3 hours and that's about average.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks, does MeGUI use the full CPU resources in both passes ? (pass 1 and 2 )
    Which is faster in same setting for encode ? (High4.1, very slow, film)
    MeGUI or Ripbot ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. They will be about the same, both will use the same CPU resources.

Certain settings are likely bottlenecking your encode . For example b-adapt 2 isn't very well multithreaded and can be a bottleneck

Hint : --preset veryslow means.... very slow , so if you want it faster, use a faster preset
    Quote Quote  
  5. Running two encoding jobs simultaneously tend to keep the CPU pretty busy.

Or sometimes I split an encoding job into halves, encode them at the same time, then append the video with MKVMergeGUI. If you do that, add -stitchable to the x264 command line so you won't have an issue appending the encoded video (assuming the same settings are used each time).
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!