VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a smart TV which will play films direct from the USB input. If I put the SRT file in the same directory as the film and ensure that the file names are the same I don't have any problem.
    If I have exactly the same conditions, i.e. same directory and same name, when I stream the film from the server it doesn't see any subtitles.
    Any ideas as to why?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Exactly my same problem. Haven't tested with USB, but I am streaming with smart view 2 from PC to a samsung h6400 tv, and I have tried everything but subtitles are not activated.

This includes:
    - same filename srt and mp4 files, and folder
    - same filename without white spaces
    - opening srt with notepad and saving as unicode
    - opening the files with vlc and closing it (like if vlc could modify somehow the files)

Nothing. I will try now through USB, but it's a shame nobody knows how to solve that!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. A last update, since the DLNA server from samsung cannot read subtitles I've tried plex and serviio without any success. Plex cannot embed the subtitles, and when serviio does it, the samsung (H6400) does not understand the file type.

And then I've tried "PS3 media server" that finally has brought subtitles to the tv. Ouh yeah
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Robocop-UK View Post
    I have a smart TV which will play films direct from the USB input. If I put the SRT file in the same directory as the film and ensure that the file names are the same I don't have any problem.
    If I have exactly the same conditions, i.e. same directory and same name, when I stream the film from the server it doesn't see any subtitles.
    Any ideas as to why?
    I have this problem with both of my TV's as well. My TV's are a Sharp and a Samsung.

I called both Sharp and Samsung. They both told me that Subtitle SRT files are only supported from USB drives and not from DLNA servers.
    The firmware of the TV doesn't allow for SRT files to be used when coming from a DLNA server. The both said they would put that in the "Suggestion" box for any firmware upgrades as well as future TV's as an added benifit. UGG!

It is possible your TV maybe the same way.

Apparently there must be issues with the DLNA specifications to allow it to stream two files at the same time to the same client. That's what it would take for the TV to play your Video and SRT files at the same time. Stream two files to the same client at the same time. I don't think thats currently allowed in the current DLNA specifications.

TGC

P.S. There is probably some DLNA server software that you can run on a PC that will encode the subtitle track with the video as it send it to the client. Thus allowing it to be turned on & off, as well as not thwarting DLNA specifications of only allowing one file to be streamed to a client at a time. The drawback of this though, is that it requries a PC, bypassing the whole point of having of a DLNA NAS device. I don't want to have a dedicated PC running 24/7 for DLNA server purposes when I allready have 3 - Raid 5 12TB NAS units.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A quick update. I have found that with MP4/SRT files the TV will not see the subtitles, however with MKV/SRT files the TV plays them.

I have also noticed that there are combinations, like MKV with embedded subtitles and AVI files, that will and won't play the subtitles there are times when the plays the file automatically and some times when I have to go into options and select the subtitle.

I haven't had time to research this yet
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!