VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've finally got a Hi8 deck, the Canopus ADVC 110 and a firewire card for my Win 7 computer so that I can convert my 8mm and Hi8 tapes to digital. I can play the tapes on the deck and watch them on my TV, but can't figure out how to get the signal from the firewire output of the Canopus to be recognized by WinDV, which I had planned to use to record the output to hard drive. I am using a brand new firewire cable. When it is plugged and unplugged, Windows gives the audio signal that a device has been added or removed, so I am pretty certain that the cable is good. When plugged into the computer, the Canopus status light comes on, which would indicate that the Canopus is getting power. All I can get is "No Video Device Found"

What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just hooked up a digital camcorder via a 4x6 firewire cable and got the same result... "No Video Device Found" Windows gives the same audio signal... that a device has been added or removed when the camcorder is plugged in and then unplugged. No image or sound make it to WinDV. Is there a way to check to see if Windows has actually recognized the specific device connected to the firewire card? Beginning to wonder if the problem is the firewire card....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you're using a 6 pin firewire cable (computer supplies power) ... if 4 pin you must use the ac adapter with the device otherwise you'll get the connection sound but unable to capture from the device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Make sure you're using a 6 pin firewire cable (computer supplies power) ... if 4 pin you must use the ac adapter with the device otherwise you'll get the connection sound but unable to capture from the device.
    Thanks. I am using a 6x6 cable with the Canopus. Without the 6 pin connection, the Canopus cannot power on and makes no connection sound when plugged in. The camcorder has it's own source of power and only accepts the 4 pin cable. Both are apparently recognized by Windows when plugged in, but neither is recognized by WinDV. I have checked everything I know to check regarding the firewire card. Windows says that it is working properly.

When the camcorder is plugged in a new device appears in the "Devices and Printers" window called "61883 Class Bus Device" under a section titled "Unspecified". It is an old Sony digital camcorder(model DCR-TRV520) that Windows is apparently unable to identify other than generically.(According to Microsoft, "The IEC-61883 specification defines a connection protocol for electronic audio and video devices. IEC-61883 is used by IEEE 1394 audio and video devices.") When the camcorder is turned off, the device disappears from the "Devices and Printers" window.

When the Canopus is plugged in a new device appears in the "Devices and Printers" window called "AV/C Tape Recorder/Player" under a section titled "Devices". When the Canopus is unplugged, the device disappears from the "Devices and Printers" window.

So, Windows knows that the Canopus has been connected, but may not be properly/completely identifying it? This is all so confusing!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your Canopus should have (and SHOULD USE) its own standard regular power supply, NOT be fed power via its data cable. That is regardless of 6 vs. 4 pin. You DON'T want to rely on powering via the data cable - even at the best of times it is unreliable/inconsistent.

Also, for Win7 (esp. 64bit), I wouldn't recommend using WinDV anymore. It hasn't been updated in years. Although it too has been orphaned, I would suggest you try Scenalyzer. It at least was update through when Win7 was en vogue.

Also, check to make sure you have most current 1394 drivers. It might do to uninstall & reinstall (always while using Administrator privileges) to force it to be up-to-date.

I don't know if that will take care of it all, but it ought to help somewhat.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV does work for Win7-64. Use it myself.

It should also report AV/C Tape Recorder/Player as the active device. Same as for Device Manager.

I do not use a 110 but a 300 which does have an external power source. But to get that to see an active signal I must switch the ADVC from a Digital source to an Analog one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    WinDV does work for Win7-64. Use it myself.

It should also report AV/C Tape Recorder/Player as the active device. Same as for Device Manager.

I do not use a 110 but a 300 which does have an external power source. But to get that to see an active signal I must switch the ADVC from a Digital source to an Analog one.
    That's It !!!!!!!

I started the 110 in Digital source and changed to Analog source and Presto! WinDV and Scenalyzer are now able to see the 110 as "AV/C Tape Recorder/Player". Amazing!

Thanks so much, DB83! You're a genius!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Also, for Win7 (esp. 64bit), I wouldn't recommend using WinDV anymore. It hasn't been updated in years. Although it too has been orphaned, I would suggest you try Scenalyzer. It at least was update through when Win7 was en vogue.

Scott
    Thanks for the suggestion, Cornucopia. I've downloaded Scenalyzer and will be checking it out in the days ahead. I like the fact that it plays the sound while previewing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Genius ? Def no. Just glad I can assist.

I can well remember my very first attempt at using the 300 and, yes, I could see feck all. Thoughts of wasting what was for me at that time (still is) a large amount of money when I realised that the unit defaulted to Digital. So this is simply a sharing/pass on of my own experience with it
    Quote Quote  
  10. It turns out that I may have jumped the gun. I came back to the computer a couple of hours later(having unplugged the 110) and have not been able to get it recognized again. Further, I still have not been able to get the camcorder recognized by WinDV or any other software. It's there in the "Devices and Printers" window under "Unspecified" category, but it does not show up as an available(or even unavailable) video device for any of the programs I have tried. The 110 shows up as a choice, but is "unavailable" in WinDV and Scenalyzer. This is really weird! I have tried several times changing the input setting on the ADVC back and forth between Digital and Analog without any good results like before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmn. Obviously you do need an Analog source but I would now follow Scott's guide and at the very least obtain an external power supply.
    Quote Quote  
  12. And pay attention to your drivers, as Scott said. Win7 didn't get along well with DV initially, but folks have gotten it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Hmmn. Obviously you do need an Analog source but I would now follow Scott's guide and at the very least obtain an external power supply.
    Okay, I have some more information. The problem boils down to "unplugging" the 110. It seems that my installation of Win7 can't handle that. I can reliably get the 110 recognized if I restart windows. So far as I can tell at this time, I can open and close WinDV, Scenalyzer or any other software using the 110 without issue. I can start and stop the input source to the 110 without issue. However, once I disconnect the firewire cable, there is no getting the 110 recognized by the above software again until I restart Windows 7. Perhaps there is a setting somewhere in Windows 7 that would solve this problem, but at least I now have a work around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not a techie so I really can not tell you if Windows really can do the 'hot-plugging' on the firewire port as you are attempting.

My cable is permanently attached - I only disconnect the power - so have never done this.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The 300 only gets its power from the power supply... never from the 6 pin firewire cable, is that correct? With the 110. I presume that I would have to use a 4 pin cable when using a power supply if I wished the unit not to receive power while unplugged from the power supply... assuming that the firewire cable remained permanently connected to my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is correct.

I would have thought that any device that accepts external power will take that as it's power source in preference to any other.

What you really must do is use the 110 with the existing cable over a period of time and not just a short test. If results are inconsistent then go for the power supply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Again: why do you want to remove the box from a power supply in the first place? It ought to remain plugged in the whole time.
    and
    why are you disconnecting? just keep it connected!

Suggested scenarios
    1. when needing to capture, turn on (and connect) the box along with powering up the PC. Then leave them both on & connected the whole time you intend to capture.
    2. when not needing to capture, only turn on the PC, not the box (but leave the box connected).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to clarify what I wrote.

When I said 'Dis-connect', I meant un-plugged at the mains. The power lead is always attached to the device and the DV cable is both attached to the PC and the unit.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!