VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've used dvgrab to capture video on a fedora pc using command line, I used a canopus advc-110. However is it possible to do the reverse? ie: play a video from the command line and export it outwards to the firewire port?
    I ask because I know the canopus is a two way device and this reverse play thing does work in ms windows (which I hate) so can the same be done in linux? and what would the command look like? I've been searching google on this but all that comes up is capturing inwards. Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But why ?

Even if you could do this, which I do not think is possible (surely firewire is one way), are you then suggesting that you could use the same firewire port to recapture the video. Or what ?

Two-way for a advc is over composite. Little is gained with a 110 since it does no processing whereas a 300 can process the video typically between two vcrs or a vcr and a dvd-recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. the canopus advc is two-way, I've done the two way thing myself in ms windows so I know it works. And I'm not trying to play and capture on the one device at the same time, that would be silly. To answer your querstion why, this is for a project I'm doing and I need to play a video file from command line out through the canopus box and out of the composite video port. I'm not bothered about quality in or out because I'm only working with SD anyway, my first hurdle is just to see if I can do this in linux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I stand corrected. The DV port on the ADVC, on either side, is IN/OUT.

You would still have to persuade the port on the PC to output.
    Quote Quote  
  5. that's whole point of my op ffs...I'm trying to get help on a way to get linux to push video out through the firewire port.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!