VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks
    Not sure if this is in the right section but here goes.

I am having a weird issue with a couple of Mp4 files I have created with Handbrake on a Mac.

I am putting them on a USB hard drive connected to a WDTV Live Streaming Media Player connected to my TV. The weird thing is that some of them don't show up as movie files on the player but audio files. If I put them in the Movie folder they can't be seen, but using the Folder browser view they then show up but they have audio file icons and play as audio with no picture. Other mp4s converted with the same settings are fine though. I can't see anything different about them in media info or their metatags.

BTW they play fine in VLC on the Mac.

What could be causing this?
    Last edited by Sunshine Superman; 21st Oct 2014 at 10:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Same video and audio codecs?

Have you checked all video settings, like variable framerate, resolution, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick
    As far as I know they are all the same as I set up a preset that I use for all conversions, the only difference being the audio, pass thru for 5.1 and aac for stereo, some files show up correctly as movies and some not. I have one that is AAC stereo that won't play and the other that is pass thru. I also have other files with the same two audio formats that are recognised and play fine. They all play in VLC though regardless and also in Quick Time if they have AAC audio track.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Dune 303 which shows (in info) mp3's as mp4's, they work (play) ok, tho, go figure.

(I have a wdlivesmp, I took the batts out of the remote & everything is back in the box.)

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I have just found a fix for this but it still doesn't explain why it's happening.

On the offending files I simply changed the file extension to .mkv and now they are recognised as movies and play fine, even weirder!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, rather than tell us that YOU can't see anything different in the MediaInfo data and have us rely on your infallibility, you could have just posted the MediaInfo data here so that eyes other than your own could take a look and see if THEY see anything that you missed. But it seems that you'd prefer to do as little as possible here and just live with the fact that you don't know why they wouldn't play correctly, so that's your decision.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, calm down mate!

I did try to post the media info actually, but on my mac version it won't export the file, it either crashes or just does nothing, back in your box.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here you go, took a screen shot instead

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 18.36.27.png
Views:	220
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	28065
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As an update, just converted one of them again to mp4, but this time with the 'Large File' box unticked and it seems to work ok. Just trying the other one now. Again, bit odd as the other ones that worked already had that box ticked??
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!