VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know DVD Remake Pro is a pretty old program by this point but, it was awesome back in the day. Such as for joining multiple DVDs and putting them to a single disc with menus and all intact.

However, anyone know how to Unmerge joined discs? Have some old DVDs where i merged one or more, and would now like to separate them to individual discs w/menus in tact of coarse.

Note- I'm open to other solutions to this besides DVD Remake Pro.
    Last edited by Super Warrior; 19th Oct 2014 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you use dvdremake pro again? And remove movies/tracks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    That sounds the easiest way.

Just run the program twice but keep a copy of the source before you run it just in case that is over-written in the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Its not that easy. For one, DVD file structure is like a volatile house of cards. You really have to KNOW what you're doing, otherwise removing one little thing will make it topple over. Secondly, you have to KNOW the program you're using!

I admit i do not know file structure. Back in the day i was awesome at using DVD Remake Pro but, it was for editing various junk out, removing excess audio tracks, even editing out parts of a movie i thought were stupid, etc. But the file structure was always untouched to facilitate normal playback. I do NOT know how to actually separate something and keep the individual parts intact.

If there is a way, i don't know how to do it. Whenever i try to remove or delete something, the end result is an unplayable mess.

Now i was able to find a simple workaround for it. First by replacing the parts of the other DVD with blank junk data that takes almost no space. Then going to the start-up menu where you first choose which disc you want to play, right-clicking the button of the one you want to keep, and selecting "Bypass menu/autoselect".

The end result makes the DVD file behave virtually as if it were split, i don't even see the main menu for choosing discs anymore. It just goes straight to the DVD i wanted to split/keep. The problem is that, appearances aside, it IS still joined with all the excess blank VMGs from the other disc.

So trying to join it with something else usually results in a, "Exceeds 99 VMGs limit" message.

Does anyone know exactly what a VMG is and how to remove it?
    Last edited by Super Warrior; 20th Oct 2014 at 14:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. what a VMG is and how to remove it?
    The VMG is the Video Manager Domain - and it can't be removed. More about domains from Wiki and Unofficial DVD Specifications.

To "un-merge" a disk/disks with DVD Remake you should identify the VTS('s) belonging to the disk(s) and "Hide All Block". Then find the VTS with the menu to select disk and "Hide Button" for the button(s) to select the un-merged disk(s). (One way of doing it).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    what a VMG is and how to remove it?
    The VMG is the Video Manager Domain - and it can't be removed. More about domains from Wiki and Unofficial DVD Specifications.

To "un-merge" a disk/disks with DVD Remake you should identify the VTS('s) belonging to the disk(s) and "Hide All Block". Then find the VTS with the menu to select disk and "Hide Button" for the button(s) to select the un-merged disk(s). (One way of doing it).

I'd already mentioned above in my post that i figured out that trick. However, my plan was to merge it again but with something else afterwards. But whenever i tried that, the 99 VMG limit was exceeded, due to all the junk VMGs left over from the deleted disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    what a VMG is and how to remove it?

Holy crap, i did it! And you are incorrect. VMGs can be safely removed without disturbing DVD file structure.

Ok so to recap: My goal was to separate a disc merged with another using DVD Remake Pro, and with the menus intact. This part was easy it turns out:

#1- Locate the menus & videofiles of the disc you want to cut out. Right-click on the Video TS branch and select: "Hide all blocks". It will delete menus/video files and replace them with junk data that takes up almost no space. Sometimes this won't work straight off however, and you'll actually have to double-click the Video TS branches, locate the files and do it like that. Easy stuff.

#2- Now go to DVD Remake Pro's start-up menu where it asks you to select the disc you want to play. It will ALWAYS be the very last Video TS branch at the bottom. Double-click it, find the menu, locate the number of the disc you want to keep, place mouse cursor over the button and right-click. Select "bypass menu/autoselect".

Done. The DVD is still technically joined but, the video data of the other disc it was joined to is gone, and the DVD behaves virtually as if it was truly split. DVD Remake Pro's disc selection menu doesn't even show up anymore.

However, if you intend on later merging this with another DVD, you're going to have problems. Because the junk data from the other disc is still merged with it, and the DVD compliant video-standard only allows a maximum of 99 VMGs.

Theres an easy fix however, its just a little repetitive to clean out all these junk VMGs. It is worth it though. Simply navigate to any empty Video TS branch such as, the menus & video data of the disc you deleted earlier, double-click, select "Titles". The right-hand of the screen will now display one or more VMG titles. Right-click and delete them. Repeat this for all the other empty Video TS branches there are.

You can do this for every empty/junk branch EXCEPT the last one at the bottom where the DVD Remake Pro disc select menu screen was. You still need that one to tell the split DVD to bypass it as we did earlier. Oh and obviously, don't delete the VMGs for the menu & video data files of the disc you wanted to keep.

The last step: Evidently for every VMG file spread out among the Video TS branches, there is a corresponding one in the very top file called "Video manager". You'll have to double-click that, go to "VMG titles", and ONLY delete the VMG files that are highlighted RED! The good news is that no right-clicking is necessary, here you can just press the delete key to quickly dump those VMGs out.

Done. Now you are free to leave your split disc as is, or merge it with other stuff. Note- Don't EVER delete the actual Video Title set(Video TS) branches! They are like links in the chain. Remove one and the whole DVD file structure is ruined.
    Last edited by Super Warrior; 23rd Oct 2014 at 20:28.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!