VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everybody.

I was wondering if and how it'd be possible to record a voice over while basically controlling the video. I want to be able to pause a video and possibly slow it down while recording the voice over without stopping the voiceover or preparing all the pauses and slowmotions beforehand.
    For example if I'd be commentating a clip and a lot of stuff would happen and I'd need time to explain a lot of things in depth that happen in that very moment, but I just don't have enough time to properly explain everything without pausing the clip.

I did all of this before, but being able to just pause the clip on the fly would make things a lot easier.

I hope you understand what I mean and I thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Other than using separate PCs/apps to do a playback+capture, I do NOT believe it is possible to do that. (And separate PCs would be better.)
    Doing this in synchrony with a Video in a timeline within the same app would do one of 2 things: either kick the audio OUT of record mode (into pause/play), or (and I don't know of any that actually do this, but it COULD be possible) modify the audio samplerate so that it tracks the change in the video framerate. This would be a bad thing, because then once your video goes back to playing normally, the audio goes into playing AB-normally. (Which is why pro cameras that allow adjustable, non-standard video recording framerates for slomo & fastmo playback do NOT usually record audio in those rates).

Have you tried outputting your interim video to a DVD and just playing back the material in a separate DVD player (with slo/pause, etc).

The other problem with this is speed of re-synchronization (works better if you are doing the separates idea AND capping Video+Audio).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well I kinda expected something like that and I already thought of using a videoplayer to watch the recording and capture it again with my audio recording at the same time. I hoped I would've found an easier solution but I suppose that'll do.

I tried around a little with it already and I think I can make it work to a point where I can be happy with the results.

Anyway thank you very much for the fast reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just do it separately.

1. Use a separate audio recorder -- even a phone.
    or
    2. Use two separate apps, for example audacity to record the audio and MPC-HC to play back the video.

Then load up the audio and video in Premiere and adjust. If you're starting and stopping there's no way to do it in sync "live" anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Either using a screen capture program or a camcorder filming the screen, record your audio while controlling the playback of your video. When done load your source video and audio commentary in your NLE along with your screen capture video which you use as a reference track to adjust your source video.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!