VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Having a bit of an issue here. I have TS files I am looking to author as blu-rays but TMPGEnc isn't cooperating.

The files:
    1080i TS files, h264, direct unencrypted recordings from satellite TV. Completely compliant (i.e. shows "smart render" in the project) and many similar files convert without issue. a couple are buggy for whatever reason and I'm trying to figure out why.

Source files play fine in any media player (GOM, VLC for example).

M2TS files from BD output stutter in VLC and on-disc they appear to play in "slow motion" on my PS3. I know VLC is picky with HD stuff at times but I've authored countless projects from similar sources, and VLC has been able to play them flawlessly (my PS3 as well).
    I've tested these with GOM Player and it handles them just fine. But it's not up to snuff for standard BD players so I'm trying to figure out how I can prepare these files.

Various experiments have been done...

I've tried running the files through multivachd, outputting a blu-ray with that, and then feeding that output into tmpgenc. multivachd's output does not stutter, but after tmpgenc is through with it, it does. So a proper working BD from that footage (without re-encoding) is possible, just not through tmpgenc apparently. So I'm trying to figure out what I can do to fix the file to make it tmpgenc-friendly, so to speak.

Another thing I have tested is full re-encodes. Once using Adobe Encore and once using Tmpgenc Video Mastering Works. Both outputs are useable, but as I'm not looking to re-encode, it was just to test and be sure the sources are fine and usable.

I've demuxed, converted the audio to AC3, remuxed, as well.. No luck. I've run it through VideoRedo's QuickStream Fix, no luck.

So...any ideas what can I can try next as a preparation for these files before authoring?

Thank you.

Original:

Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 10.7 GiB
    Duration : 2h 46mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 9 189 Kbps

Video
    ID : 4097 (0x1001)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=28
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 4161 (0x1041)
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : LC
    Muxing mode : ADTS
    Codec ID : 15
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy

AC3 audio via ffmpeg but still not working:

Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 11.3 GiB
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 9 718 Kbps

Video
    ID : 256 (0x100)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=28
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate : 9 011 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 20.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.193
    Stream size : 10.5 GiB (93%)
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 257 (0x101)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -5ms
    Stream size : 267 MiB (2%)

Menu
    ID : 4096 (0x1000)
    List : 256 (0x100) (AVC) / 257 (0x101) (AC-3)
    Service name : Service01
    Service provider : FFmpeg
    Service type : digital television
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Is that recording off TV strictly interlaced or is it telecined movie source?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Interlaced AFAIK... but not 100% positive... would you suggest different things for each?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I may be way off base, and a bit confused. but if your taking the TS file and burning a BD "disk" from it (say, with tsmuxr), then the FPS is wrong...

It needs to be 23.976 for 720 or 1080 resolution, 29.97 wont work...

I did encode and burn a BD with 29.97, and it played, but it was full of jitter.

Again, Im probably looking like an idiot with this reply.
    Andrwe
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nah, the FPS is right. I've burned countless projects without issue from identical sources. If that were true, not only would Tmpgenc not bring the file in as "smart render," but it would be a problem consistent from start to finish. I think I somewhat understand what you are getting at--same with what LMotlow was asking me--that the FPS could be wrong if the source was film versus TV. But i don't think that is the issue, as plenty of shows were fine.

The problem here is characteristic of dropped or corrupt video frames/data. For some reason, other authoring programs are either able to fill them in or power through them. Tmpgenc is not, and I'm not sure if that is a positive or negative about the program; depends how you look at it.

I've tried various stream repair options but they're either over my head or not detecting any problems, so I'm at a loss. Really trying to avoid full re-encodes here as it will not only take hours upon hours, but degrade the quality.

And I'm not looking to use another authoring program, either, as I haven't found anything that does enough of what I want it to do. TMPGenc has the right blend of freedom and ease of use. You can't do EVERYTHING, but you can do enough.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If your test with multiavchd didn't stutter, and it only authored (not re-encoded), then it suggests the problem is tmgpenc's muxer

You can also test tsmuxer. That doesn't have the ability to re-encode. If that plays smoothly, that's more evidence that supports the assertion that the problem is on tmpgenc's end. If that's the case, you should provide samples and contact them for support so they can fix the issue
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks, that all makes sense. Perhaps it is tmpgenc. I just didn't understand why some were working and some weren't, thus i figured it was a problem specific to the individual files. But your deductions point towards tmpgenc's muxer is logical, so I'll give tsmuxer a shot and contact support.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know about any of these conclusions. It looks to me that the problem is the old one of BKAC ("Between Keyboard And Chair"). MultiAVCHD is producing a TS file and then you're feeding that .TS into TVAW? Why? TS is for straight HDD/storage playback without menus or other features. If you want to author something, it has to be in a different container, not in the packet configuration for straight .TS. That's probably why TVAW is going into "smart rendering" mode and re-encoding your video. Authoring isn't encoding. Unless, of course, your input is con-compliant encoding or n ot structure for authored BD/AVCHD. Your sample appears to be a 4:3 image set up for 16:9 display, which is what 1440x1080 was designed for. I asked about telecine because a 2-hour-plus 4:3 frame aspect video would sound like a movie to me, and that would be telecine material that should play in 1440x1080 as 23.97 progressive, not interlaced 29.97. But, then your 1440x1080 vid might not be a movie. What are the contents? My main question is, why is an authoring program being used to re-encode your video?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Why? Because I wanted to see if another BD authoring program would work through the kinks and get it ready for TMPGEnc. Thought I was pretty clear with that... When you have limited knowledge you try things to see what works. I also wanted to how other programs might handle dropped frames or other issues. But that doesn't mean the whole problem was caused by me.

It does not have to be in a different container, TMPGenc accepts TS files just fine. That is the container the files are in and I'm authoring BDs with them. It has worked fine plenty of other times. Multiavchd didn't output a TS file, it output an M2TS within a BD structure, which can import into TMPGEnc just fine. It was just for testing.

Tmpgenc is not re-encoding my video... Smart render = does not need full re-encode. It will say that whether it makes minor changes or zero changes. It will show as "FR" (full render) if it has to re-encode. Audio may be re-encoded (AAC to AC3) in 'smart render,' but the video is lossless. If the video content was non-compliant it would show full render. If you're not familiar with the program I'm unsure why you are commenting in the first place. I'm using the term 'smart render' as that is what the program is displaying when the video is imported. It's either one or the other. Doesn't mean it is re-encoding the video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LIBERT4D View Post
    If you're not familiar with the program I'm unsure why you are commenting in the first place. I'm using the term 'smart render' as that is what the program is displaying when the video is imported. It's either one or the other. Doesn't mean it is re-encoding the video.
    I don't know about the first part of your reply, but I've used every version of TMPGenc's encoding and authoring programs since 2002. The reason I commented is that I've never had the problem you describe using that software for a dozen years on thousands of videos (literally), nor have I ever hard of anyone else having that problem with their TMPGenc authoring apps.

Take it or leave it, but I see no reason why you need the smart rendering feature in the first place except for minor cut and join work. I can only surmise that you might have some parts of the video that are maybe interlaced, others that are telecined, or whatever. In that case I take different video formats or frame rates and enter them as separate clips or tracks. Otherwise, you're right: I have no idea why you're having that problem, but I suspect that it shouldn't be happening.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't "need" it as the files are compliant, but you seem to be insinuating that I am voluntarily selecting to use it. As far as I was aware, it's the default state for importing compliant files. Are you suggesting it's possible to turn off the 'smart rendering' feature?

I mean if that's the case I will, but I wasn't aware it was a 'feature' you could turn off.

It is all one consistent video source/format...
    Last edited by LIBERT4D; 19th Oct 2014 at 20:24.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I always thought authored BluRay was encoded as m2ts, authored AVCHD encoded as m2t. You like .ts, use it. I wouldn't think of interfering in any way. Have a long and trouble free life.
    Quote Quote  
  13. That is correct, and I never claimed otherwise...
    But why would I convert the source file to M2TS when TMPGEnc will handle that in the output process? You seemed to be suggesting that TS files weren't compatible. It's not the issue.

Like I said, I have used other apps to output BD projects using the same footage, and that footage was all fine and stutter-free. But when I fed that result into TMPGEnc--remember, they're M2TS files within a BD folder structure--the stutters were there.

Still curious to see what you thought about the smart rendering thing as I have seen no function to turn off the feature.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by LIBERT4D View Post
    It does not have to be in a different container, TMPGenc accepts TS files just fine.
    Mine does not. Open the video with avidemux and just copy to an .avi - container
    then it will work.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!