VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to buy a new camcorder and I'm having difficulty finding one that I trust. The camcorder doesn't need great battery life or a lot of manual functions. It also doesn't need to take stills. And it doesn't have to be HD, though that might work best. I really want a camcorder with good or great video quality, optical zoom, and low and high light quality. Also, image stabilization is important, because my hand does tend to shake slightly. It also doesn't have to pick up sound well, because I can do voiceovers and add audio from my computer. My price range is under $400-500 though I feel like I could find something that will work for less. Do y'all have any recommendations or suggestions for me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It also depends on what kind of videos you want to make, where or how you´re planning to shoot and other details but here´s a good starting point:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Camcorder+Type_Palmheld&ci=1871&Ns=p_PRICE_...np=269&mxp=479
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should get a GoPro with a head strap and remote control. I don't think any regular camcorders can deal with shaky hands. Only a tripod would solve that problem.

Most all the newer camcorders have the controls on a touch screen, so shaky hands would be a problem there too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a canon user, so for your price range I'd go with a Canon Vixia.

It has image stabilization for your shakiness. It shoots in HD. It's better in low-light than other cameras; however, since you can get one for lower than your $400 to $500 budget, I'd also spring for a small LED light you can bring with it. Then you never have to worry about shooting in low light.
    Lowell Niles
    Creative Director, Sunword Studios
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My suggestion: Do not buy camcorders until the 4K HEVC era!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    And be sure to do nothing memorable or worth recording until then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    2x on the vixia. Oh, and also get a tripod!!.

Unless you'd rather wait for a 4k ...
    (why am I not surprised - the OP even said HD wasn't a requirement!)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by Stears555 View Post
    And be sure to do nothing memorable or worth recording until then.
    I bought my first camcorder in 1992. Like the 99% of camcorder owners, I've never recorded a really interesting video from an interesting event. Frustrating but true, Whenever I've seen an interesting event, my camcorder slept at home... 99% of my recordings are simple camcorder tests, or long but boring holidays.

C'est la vie
    Last edited by Stears555; 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:20.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!