VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just got a Pioneer Blu-ray burner and media comes today.

I'm capturing pro football broadcasts for a friend whose kids moved out of state and can't get the Seahawks games on TV. The captured files are very large, sometimes exceeding what I can get on a DL DVD.

Can you recommend any easy to use Blu-Ray authoring software that is free or reasonably priced?. Doesn't have to have lots of bells and whistles just be able to author Blu-Ray from .ts capture files.

Been using DVD Flick for authoring DVDs. Will it work with Blu-ray media?
    Last edited by hstrent51; 14th Oct 2014 at 11:37.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The Blu-ray format is completely different than DVD. Only a BD authoring program will work.

But, you can try the freeware programs: AVCHDCoder, multiAVCHD, tsMuxeR (GUI)

And I wouldn't use any BD discs except Verbatim, but you can try others.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic BD-R has better longevity than Verbatim BD-R HTL, although both burn beautifully. The only drawbacks with Panasonic BD-R media are that it is more expensive and harder to find than Verbatim.

Verbatim BD-R LTH is inexpensive, but it can be problematic for older players and looses data integrity more quickly than Verbatim HTL. It might be OK for short-term needs.

For Blu-Ray authoring, SD video can be MPEG-2, 720x480 29.97 fps, interlaced. MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio (MPA/M2A) will need to be converted. LPCM or Dolby Digital (AC3) are a good option for audio conversion.

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVCHDcoder worked perfectly for me in authoring my fist blu-ray movie. I then burned the iso onto disc with the Nero software that came with my Pioneer blu-ray burner. It played beautifully on my new Samsung blu-ray player. Thanks, everyone.

As far as media is concerned, I'm using Optical Quantum BD-R. It seemed to get about the same customer satisfaction ratings in Amazon reviews as Verbatim's products and was a little cheaper. I guess time will tell. One successful burn does not necessarily mean the whole stack of discs will not produce some frizbees.

Now, I need recommendations for blu-ray players. Any good free ones?

Edit: Eureka! VLC plays blu-ray. Answered my own question I guess.
    Last edited by hstrent51; 15th Oct 2014 at 01:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hstrent51 View Post

As far as media is concerned, I'm using Optical Quantum BD-R. It seemed to get about the same customer satisfaction ratings in Amazon reviews as Verbatim's products and was a little cheaper. I guess time will tell.
    That means nothing, just so you know. Plenty of low quality, awful media gets rave reviews from the people who use it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVCHDcoder worked perfectly for me in authoring my fist blu-ray movie. I then burned the iso onto disc with the Nero software that came with my Pioneer blu-ray burner. It played beautifully on my new Samsung blu-ray player. Thanks, everyone.

As far as media is concerned, I'm using Optical Quantum BD-R. It seemed to get about the same customer satisfaction ratings in Amazon reviews as Verbatim's products and was a little cheaper. I guess time will tell. One successful burn does not necessarily mean the whole stack of discs will not produce some frizbees.

Now, I need recommendations for blu-ray players. Any good free ones?

Edit: Eureka! VLC plays blu-ray. Answered my own question I guess.
    Optical Quantum is rubbish, but you'll find that out eventually. Use ImgBurn for burning, not Nero.

MPCHC and Pot Player can play Blu-Ray too, but all free players currently have limited menu support or none. Also, except for VLC, free players can't decrypt commercial Blu-Ray discs and VLC's decryption is still experimental. If you ever want to play commercial Blu-Ray dics you will need a commercial software player to play them reliably on a PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Oct 2014 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Put one of your Optical Quantum BDRs in your drive and start up Imgburn -> Discovery. Under the Device tab, you'll see who actually made the disc.

I believe they generally source their BDRs from Ritek and CMC (there may be more).

Ritek is poor quality, certainly. CMC is not nearly as bad, perhaps surprisingly, given the poor reputation of their DVD media. (I've burned a couple hundred BRDs from each).

Be advised that your Riteks (if that's what they are) may become unreadable after a while, even if you verified them in Imgburn. That's quite apart from the outright failures during burning. Dunno why, just relating my experience with them. Properly burned and verified discs should not become unreadable. My last spindle of them (and I mean last), I had to set a custom size for my encodes, about 1 GB smaller, to stay away from the outside of the disc.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 15th Oct 2014 at 10:30.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fritz, here's the info your requested. There was no Device tab in Discovery but there was one under Settings.

Looks like to me that the brand is "OTC"
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Discovery1.JPG
Views:	1133
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	28020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Device.JPG
Views:	1192
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	28021  

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "OTCBDR002" is an Optodisc MID. See http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Computer/BDR-208DBK/BDR-208DB..._MediaList.pdf

I read some reviews from 2010 (at club myce and doom9) which indicated that Optodisc BD-R is not horrible for bargain media, but has more burn errors than HTL BD-R media from Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've burned four discs now and so far so good. How will they age? We'll see.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I dunno, I found them (Optodisc) to be the worst I ever used, worse than Ritek. The original firmware on my LG burner didn't even have a write strategy for them. Perhaps they behave better on Pioneer burners?

See, that's the problem with most brands. You can't tell what you'll get until you have Imgburn look for the M.I.D on a disc. Optical Quantum was CMC last I had any. Philips can be Philips or CMC (I've seen both), or goodness knows what else. RiData has always been Ritek, AFAIK, so avoid those. Optodisc has been sold as Merax and Generic, among other names. Titan (online brand from Meritline) has always been CMC in my experience, so if you want to go cheap, I'd tepidly recommend those.

Otherwise, it will be easier to just use Verbatims.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You know, I suspect that in part the variable range of experiences with different brands of media may have to do with the burner itself and it's firmware (as you suggested) and not just that they are cheaply made. So many products with brand names are made by someone else anyway but according to the specs given by the marketing company.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Some of the best bargain Blu-ray according to the folks over at MyCE are the Melody brand discs with the INFOME-R30 and INFOME-R40 mid codes. You can find them on Amazon.

Haven't tried them myself.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You know, I suspect that in part the variable range of experiences with different brands of media may have to do with the burner itself and it's firmware (as you suggested) and not just that they are cheaply made. So many products with brand names are made by someone else anyway but according to the specs given by the marketing company.
    If a burner doesn't have a compatible write strategy for a particular disc, that is a problem, but it isn't the only problem. Most companies that buy media from someone else and sell it under their own label only care about the price, and are not getting something made to their specifications. For example, the same Ritek or CMC MID can be found on media sold under several name-brand labels, and it is all the same product.

Verbatim may be the only company that oversees the manufacturing process when they outsource production, assuming the outsourced media uses a Verbatim MID. Such media is made to meet Verbatim's standards and uses their patented dyes.

Verbatim also sells some cheap DVD media with their name on the label that does not use a Verbatim MID, their Life series, which made by a variety of other companies. The quality is not similar to Verbatim's standard DVD media and doesn't use Verbatim's AZO dye.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Oct 2014 at 17:38.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!