VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys ! I'm new here ! I've been editing videos for years now starting with imovie and working my way up to final cut and premiere pro for university etc. i wouldn't say i know the ins and outs or studied it massively but i have always been able to do what i've needed and found this good job come up recently and was wondering if any of you would think it's out of my league really on an editing basis....

'You will download, process and edit all formats of digital and analogue video and audio, and other digital media, for use at interviews and business proceedings.
    You will hold a HND or an equivalent qualification in audio visual or relevant experience in a similar field and must have a substantial working knowledge and experience of information technology (i.e. NLE - non linear editing, Adobe, Microsoft operating systems and other related technology) plus experience of using computer packages and the use of CCTV.'

So would NLE obviously mean software such as premiere pro/ final cut etc?

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well no one here really knows what your standard of knowledge is.

But if you have to ask what a NLE is then I do worry for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well i have done adverts for MTV in the past which have been broadcasted nationwide and i understand NLE is the newer technology as to linear would be copying from tape to tape while non linear is more from drives etc. i can cut,paste,splice footage into any order i need and have it flow perfectly fine but i'm guessing i need the more in depth knowledge to come with it really!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with db83 ... you clearly don't even know what an nle is. And do you expect people here to teach you?
    Quote Quote  
  5. In digital video editing, non-linear editing is a method that allows you to access any frame in a digital video clip regardless of sequence in the clip. The freedom to access any frame, and use a cut-and-paste method, similar to the ease of cutting and pasting text in a word processor, and allows you to easily include fades, transitions, and other effects that cannot be achieved with linear editing.

Originally Posted by welshroces View Post
    Hey guys ! I'm new here ! I've been editing videos for years now starting with imovie and working my way up to final cut and premiere pro for university etc. i wouldn't say i know the ins and outs or studied it massively but i have always been able to do what i've needed and found this good job come up recently and was wondering if any of you would think it's out of my league really on an editing basis....

'You will download, process and edit all formats of digital and analogue video and audio, and other digital media, for use at interviews and business proceedings.
    You will hold a HND or an equivalent qualification in audio visual or relevant experience in a similar field and must have a substantial working knowledge and experience of information technology (i.e. NLE - non linear editing, Adobe, Microsoft operating systems and other related technology) plus experience of using computer packages and the use of CCTV.'

So would NLE obviously mean software such as premiere pro/ final cut etc?

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated !
    Quote Quote  
  6. So yeah I was correct about what I said so thank you for clearing it up for me as I couldn't seem to find a explanation written in black and white ! Obviously I have these skills from working with final cut and premiere so I think I will try for the job and show them my work and see what input I get from them! Just one other thing threw me as some sites say things such we non destructive editing... Is this part of it also?! As I just make back ups before I start work and then every few renders or so...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OMG !!!

"couldn't seem to find a explanation written in black and white"

Every heard of a search engine ? A proper explanation would be found in less than a minute.

Yes, non-linear editing is non-destructive except that in the wrong hands it can also be destructive.

So I would guess that you immediately fail the test on "substantial" even if you have the other qualities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Non-linear & non-destructive have much in common, but it is quite possible to do destructive editing (particularly common with single track audio editor apps). It's also quite possible (though not very desirable) to do linear editing digitally on a PC.

The fact that you don't fully understand even these basic terms tells me you aren't ready for a job like this.

Yes, the little bit of info about NLE that you spouted had some truth to it, but it also was riddled with holes. NLE isn't that new (since the 80s) and isn't necessarily digital harddrive-based (witness editdroids). It's harddrive-based NOW because everything has moved to harddrive-based. It's digital NOW because everything has moved to digital. You can do non-linear with tape as well (though it is a major mess trying to keep all those machines in good condition & in sync).

Sounds also like you've really never worked with Analog tape, nor CCTV, at all, and those are also requirements.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Meh, take the job and learn everything you can until you get fired, then get another job, and keep going, and eventually you will become a professional editor. Why not? They might just end up hiring somebody's brother-in-law anyway.

If you wait for somebody to hand you something, it'll never happen. You gotta get out there and grab it. I see lots of bozai out there doing jobs they're unqualified for.

Promote yourself as a can-do candidate, that's a team player, and promote the company, and the managers, and that's your pass. Brown-nosing is the most critical tool nowadays.

Brown-nosers never get fired. And if you're really good at it, even your team-mates will help cover for you. Editors are notorious geeks, so if you happen to throw parties, with chicks, you'll really be cemented in.

[The other side of the coin]
    Last edited by budwzr; 8th Oct 2014 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the comments guys it's just helpful to actually ask people in the field already ! As for DB83 no idea why you had to respond like that.. Obviously I searched Wikipedia and Google and it didn't satisfy my needs for what I wanted to know so though my next best avenue would be to try a forum (which I used a search engine to find!) so why bother posting if you aren't actually being productive ? Just another keyboard warrior I suppose... but thanks for the info and tips from the other guys it was a good insight ! As I said I have done paid work with MTV filming and editing myself from a self taught perspective just picking up what I needed here and there! But lacking the actual knowledge!
    Anyway... I had a phone call at 5pm today for a phone interview and they have seen my cv and my portfolio and have nowoffered me a second interview! obviously I told them about my lack of experience or knowledge but they seemed happy and enthused after seeing my portfolio of work so must be doing something right !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keep in touch. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I was being productive. The first clarification about 'non-destructive' came from me. Absolutely nothing to do with backups since that is just good practice.

The wiki article about NLE's is comprehensive - you will never find something that meets all your needs in just one place.

Good luck if you are offered the job but I have to agree with Scott. From what you have told us, you do not have all the skills required per the job description. In the real world you will soon be found out.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!