VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by october262; 5th Oct 2014 at 04:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Being a cable TV provider, Verizon has no real interest in streaming video. The last thing they want is for subscribers to be able to drop their cable TV subscription and go streaming only. They were just afraid of Netflix's success and thought they needed to jump on the bandwagon. Now that the cable TV industry has bought the FCC and feel free to hinder services they don't like they're not so worried.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Being a cable TV provider, Verizon has no real interest in streaming video. The last thing they want is for subscribers to be able to drop their cable TV subscription and go streaming only. They were just afraid of Netflix's success and thought they needed to jump on the bandwagon. Now that the cable TV industry has bought the FCC and feel free to hinder services they don't like they're not so worried.
    Perhaps Verizon has decided it would be better off without a partner. Comcast, one of Verizon's main competitors, offers its own streaming video service. Comcast charges $5-$6 to rent most new movies.

I'm a Redbox customer using the disc rental part of their business. I never tried their streaming service. The cost of their streaming service was $8/month and I would have to pay another $20-$30/month to upgrade my Internet service to stream HD movies. Redbox changes $1.50 to rent movies on Blu-Ray from a kiosk, which is a better deal if someone rents only one movie a week.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Oct 2014 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Now that the cable TV industry has bought the FCC and feel free to hinder services they don't like they're not so worried.
    You know, not so very long ago I would have thought that comment somewhat...immoderate. That sheer wrong-headedness is adequate to explain a stupid (or negligent) regulatory regime.

Now? Yeah, it's crony capitalism, Baby. Mind you, I'm for free-markets and free enterprise in principle. We have precious little of that remaining. Try to start up a business/service now that competes with established interests and the big boys will squash you like a bug, with the help of the agencies that *oversee* them.

As to Redbox Instant, it seems their business model was doomed anyway. Too bad, I intended to try out Redbox Instant. I only rent from their kiosks maybe once a month though. Not many recent movies have any appeal.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!