VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello, I have several dvdr home movies that appear "squished" to 4x3 (image tall and skinny) when I play them back.

They should play in 16x9, so the image has black on the left or the right.

I want to end up with a dvd that plays these in 16x9 aspect ratio on a widescreen tv.

I have tried this with XviC4PSP 5.0, and I was able to get the correct aspect ratio, but the video gets re-encoded and shrunk to about 50% of its original size on the disc.

Is there a way to simply change the aspect ratio without re-encoding? Or if I have to re-encode is there a way that I can do this without further compression of the video?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. PGCEdit can change the DAR in the IFO so that almost all hardware and software DVD players will see it as being 16:9. No reencoding.

I don't have it on this computer but as I remember, open the DVD, right-click on the video and go to the Domain Attributes screen. Change and save. Something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used this on video made on a DVD recorder.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/IfoAR2WS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elviszappa View Post
    They should play in 16x9, so the image has black on the left or the right.
    You mean so the image does NOT have black bars on the left and right ?
    Black bars on the left and right on a modern HDTV would not be 16:9.

Anyways, seeing as you really did not say what format you have, I will assume a standard DVD video, I have used this before many times to
    correct the AR on standard DVD Video format videos without re-encoding and it takes a few seconds.

DVDPatcher
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDPatcher will change the aspect ratio. Fast and simple and no re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!