+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10

Possibly because of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_ninth

EDIT:

Originally Posted by www.geek.com/microsoft/why-windows-9-is-windows-10-1605698/
    Windows XP (Good)
    Windows Vista (Bad)
    Windows 7 (Good)
    Windows 8 (Bad)
    Windows 9 (Good)
    Windows 10 (Bad)

There's why they skipped to Windows 10, it's going to be another bad release.
    lol Lol LOL ^__^
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 30th Sep 2014 at 19:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They felt it would symbolically put more distance between Windows 8.x and its successor? The first joke I read about Windows 10: Why is there no Windows 9? Because 7 8 9. Ties in nicely with "Why is 6 afraid of 7?"

[Edit] No, really when they did internal testing, Windows 9 was just too good. Microsoft was afraid they'd have another XP on their hands. Hundreds of millions of customers hanging on for dear life, and unwilling purchase its successor, so they had to scrap it and make something people would be happier to upgrade away from.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Sep 2014 at 21:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe they consulted the Oracle of Delphi or the numerologist
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at the preview and they still have that fakkakta Apps bullcrap.

Apple's going to try to make an Enterprise move and offer software tailored for different businesses, like hair salon, drugstore, ice cream parlor, whatever.

So Win10 is supposed to hold the fort for MS in the Enterprise space. I think they gave up on everyday consumers already.
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Sep 2014 at 23:55.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So, what's your point ?

There are plenty of OSes...if you dont like them, dont use them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sergio29 View Post
    So, what's your point ?
    The point is that Microsoft is kicking off a large National Treasure game where we must decipher increasing vague clues to find the true prize, which may be OS W, Windows for Macs.

Our first clue is "How does 9 = 10?"

Anyone have any ideas? We already know that .9999 = 1 thanks to this: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/recreational-math/vi-hart/infinity/v/9-999-reasons-that-999-1 This could be related.

But how does 9 = 10? hrmmm.. It's a head scratcher.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Didn't they (MS) do this with one of the DirectX versions back in the day?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A CNET article reported "Windows 10 is such a substantial leap, according to Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, Terry Myerson, that the company decided it would be best to skip over Windows 9, the widely expected name for the next version."

Another report I saw theorized that Microsoft skipped over Windows 9 and went straight to Windows 10 because it will be the last OS Microsoft produces in the Windows product line.

...but maybe this is a strategy to generate more buzz about the new OS. If that is the plan, it appears to be working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope it's not another screw-up.

One decision they got right was to get rid of Steve Ballmer. That guy is a tremendous putz. Don't know how he got the job in the first place.

This new CEO thinks sending out requests to do a survey is going to somehow engage the public. Heck, we're all sick of that old trick just to get your e-mail and comply with the anti-spam rules.

Let's face it. We only use Windows because of our applications like video editing and such. If Linux ran Windows software I'd be switched in a minute.
    Last edited by budwzr; 1st Oct 2014 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I hope it's not another screw-up.

One decision they got right was to get rid of Steve Ballmer. That guy is a tremendous putz. Don't know how he got the job in the first place.
    Yup. I love that old video clip from some earlier Windows version rollout, where he was whooping it up and jumping around the stage like a monkey on meth. What's the early line on whether he'll take the Clippers over the cliff ? (But hard to be much worse with this than Sterling !)

There are a fair number of video apps you can run on the Mac. Wasn't that the original pro platform for Avid, after all ? Not to mention Final Cut Pro . . . .
    Last edited by Seeker47; 1st Oct 2014 at 17:58.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    For the intrepid guinea pigs ^_^

Windows 10 Technical Preview now available to download

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6877195/windows-10-technical-preview-download/in/5910988

Code:
    http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/W9TPI/FD54DF81A4CCF4511BA1445C606DDBA2/WindowsTechnicalPreview-x86-EN-US.iso

http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/W9TPI/FD54DF81A4CCF4511BA1445C606DDBA2/WindowsTechnicalPreview-x64-EN-US.iso
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like now they are going to force you to look at those stupid Apps, they're attached to the Start Menu! They just don't get it. We don't want or need "Widgets", we just want a stable platform to run real applications.

They should have two versions. One regular, but faster and slimmer. And the other can be the usual bloatware and 6th grade crap. The grown ups version can just use "Computer" as a folder name, and the retardo one can stay "My Computer", for those that don't know what computer is listed in their folder tree.

And no I don't want to open a graphic or photo with "My Picture Album App". I can already open the folder and choose Thumbnail View, if I want to see a photo spread.
    Last edited by budwzr; 1st Oct 2014 at 21:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Arstechnica already has their first hands-on post for the development preview: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/hands-on-with-the-windows-10-sta...s-you-want-it/

I still don't understand the metro style buttons. They're different colors, different sizes, they're just a random mess.

Hopefully they removed the drag to close for their full size apps. That had to be the most frustrating thing about Windows 8. It assumed I'm on a touchscreen. I double clicked a PDF and I could not figure out how to close it. I had to search for the solution on my phone to figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    source: http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2014/09/30/windows-10-first-step-whole-new-generation-windows/

Windows 10 “represents the first step of a whole new generation of Windows,” writes Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Operating Systems, in a blog post. “Windows 10 unlocks new experiences for customers to work, play and connect. Windows 10 embodies what our customers (both consumers and enterprises) demand and what we will deliver.”
    The "waiting-room screens" from the setup process of Windows 95 said more or less the same thing
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo View Post
    Arstechnica already has their first hands-on post for the development preview: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/hands-on-with-the-windows-10-sta...s-you-want-it/

I still don't understand the metro style buttons. They're different colors, different sizes, they're just a random mess.

Hopefully they removed the drag to close for their full size apps. That had to be the most frustrating thing about Windows 8. It assumed I'm on a touchscreen. I double clicked a PDF and I could not figure out how to close it. I had to search for the solution on my phone to figure it out.
    I installed a Start Menu replacement in Windows 8.x because I don't care for the Metro tiles or Start Screen either. However users can select the size they want to use for Tiles and arrange them as they see fit in Windows 8.x. I think the background color can be changed too, but I'm not certain. I don't use to the Start Screen very often so I didn't bother to do much customization. (I did remove a lot of apps I don't use.) I expect there will be ways to customize the tiles in Windows 10 too.

The required Windows 8.1 Update 1 added a button to close Apps. If someone moves the cursor up to the top of the screen, the equivalent of a Title Bar with a Close Button appears. I don't think Windows 10 will take that away. I think they are supposed to be adding the ability to run Apps in resizable windows to Windows 10.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Oct 2014 at 09:14. Reason: correct typo
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    MPC-HC under Windows 10

(thanks to clsid)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ipmr0p.png
Views:	549
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	27817  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [deleted]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ...but maybe this is a strategy to generate more buzz about the new OS. If that is the plan, it appears to be working.
    Exactly. Get some free press and buzz. I don't think it's gonna help to just re-jigger the apps/desktop environment around, and then claim "all new", "improved". It's still the SOS.

It's just too late for MS to try and do apps. They're the "odd man out" already. Nobody wants a whole new approach to Apps. I say get rid of the Apps and focus on the core. We want a streamlined Windows, more robust, less bloated, faster, leaner, meaner.

What really irritated me is that they didn't introduce the Apps(Metro) portion of Windows in a friendly way. They shoved it down our throats. The worst part is the way they rejiggered all the "System" tools, to make them more difficult to find so you have to use the search in Metro to find anything.

And all the file associations are set for Apps by default, so they keep pushing you back into Metro until you finally figure out how to change associations.

Some of the Apps "Dead End". You have no way back. It's like you're in a tunnel system and some of the tubes just end in a blank wall. And yet they package that out anyway. That's further proof that the left hand doesn't know what....the right.... Somebody forgot to finish parts of it, and nobody noticed.

They were late to the game, so they try to force us to hurry up, and I find that insulting. I didn't upgrade to Sony Vegas Pro 13, or any other software, because I may have to jump ship in the future.

Thank goodness Apple is going to give MS a run for their money soon in the Enterprise arena, and MS will get a wakeup call. MS is running on past revenue hoards(past profits) now, and they won't last forever. They might go the way of Blackberry. Blackberry is STILL burning capital try to stay afloat, to the shareholder's chagrin.

So the bottom line, MS, is to make everything either Metro or Desktop. Not both! Or else you will fail.
    Last edited by budwzr; 2nd Oct 2014 at 16:40.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In all seriousness, jagabo's answer (Microsoft is skipping "Windows 9" due to the possibility of inadequate logical testing for OS versions in the code for some legacy software) makes the most sense.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So they're trying to avoid a "Y2K" type bug? Then that's good forward thinking. Yeah, there are lots of old applications that work just fine, and there's really no need to buy new. But, MS already has some nails in their coffin.

Access Databases no longer replicate in Office 365. It's a stripped down version. You have to move up to SQL Server to get that now. That's a major blow to smaller businesses.

Every time they cut something it opens the door for customers to change systems, and Apple knows this. IBM made the same mistake in the 80's to sell out out the consumer market. IBM didn't want to deal with the dumb-asses, so they dumped them to Bill Gates.

Microsoft did well until Steve Ballmer took the helm. That stupid bastard had no vision whatsoever. I remember when companies like Archos were making crude tablets, and Steve Ballmer flew to France to celebrate Archos making the first Windows tablet. That dumbass Ballmer should have started the Surface Pro back then, and beat Apple to the punch.

As MS transitions to HTML based OS, Apple will be able to encroach more and more. HTML obscures the underlying mechanics and therefore anyone can look like a million bucks on the cheap. Windows may eventually be reduced to a slave hidden behind HTML. Or developers might switch to Linux. That would be nice. One OS, for One World.
    Last edited by budwzr; 2nd Oct 2014 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 10 = Windows 1.0, a new OS schema.

AIO image (Desktops, servers, Tablets, Smartphones).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gawd, now MS wants to play coy while I'm doing them a favor to check out something new they're offering.

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!