VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all, i'm getting a new PC together for a friend of mine, i'd like to get help on a few things, here is what i have at this point :

CPU : Intel 5820K 3.3ghz 6-core i7
    MB : ???? unsure
    RAM : Crucial 32gb (4x8 gigabytes) DDR4
    GPU : GTX 970
    SSD : 256GB Crucial SSD ***already owned
    HD : 1x2TB + 1x3TB ***already owned
    Case : Cooler Master ATX case ***already owned, unsure which model, but looks like the 932
    Power Supply : see below (Corsair TX650)

Ok as you can see some parts will be used from the old computer that's being upgraded, mostly the drives but also the case. Unsure whether she should get a a new cooling system and power supply with this build, the present power supply is a Corsair TX650, it's about 2.5 years old.
    As for the video card, the GTX 970 is not out yet but she'll be using her old GTS 450 in the meantime.

From what i've read, for C4D and After Effects, CPU and RAM are the priority, but Premiere Pro makes use of the GPU. So the system here tends to put a bit more budget on the CPU and RAM side.

There's about 300-400 left for budget, what Motherboard should we get ?? They all have similar features but very different prices so are the price differences due only to the build quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is no way you are putting that system together for $300-$400, not possible.

The cheapest I have seen the 5820K for is $300, 16GB of DDR4 will set you back an easy $250, 32GB will set you back twice that, motherboards that support Haswell-E cost between $170-$200 and the GTX970 from what i have read will cost close to $300, if not more.

I've been wanting to put together a similar system like the one you outlined but at these prices, I will have to wait a while, maybe when wait until next year when the main stream processors and motherboards that support DDR4 come out and DDR4 prices have dropped.

You can save quite a few bucks if you go with a Devil's Canyon i7 4790K, 16GB of cheaper DDR3 and a mainstream board from ASUS, MSI or GIGABYTE for about $100 and still pair it with the GTX970, but you're still not going to land at between $300 and $400, not with that video card.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I meant i to say 300-400 budget left for the motherboard, could maybe find another 100 for a power supply if it's needed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Don't throw up money on DDR4, its not make computer more faster
    you can see explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utWnjA4NzSA
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    X99 motherboards support only DDR4 memory alas
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by soulgolem View Post
    I meant i to say 300-400 budget left for the motherboard, could maybe find another 100 for a power supply if it's needed.
    In that case I would say the Asus X99 Deluxe is probably the best you can do, it costs $400 from New Egg.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!