VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I have a Sony dav-dz230 DVD Home Theatre System, and for a while I've been wanting to upgrade my surround sound to blu-ray. I've been previously playing my Blu-Rays with my PS3, but since the dav-dz230 doesn't have a optical input, I can't plug my PS3 into my surround sound to play the blu-rays in surround.

Then something came to mind. I remembered that the dav-dz230 has an HDMI-output, even though it's just a DVD-player. Therefor all the menus are in HD, but as soon as I start playing a DVD, the quality goes down to SD. So I was thinking, since the dav-dz230 is able to output video to HD, could I potentially open up the DVD-player and change out the DVD-drive inside to a Blu-Ray drive? I don't know how the wiring looks, but since the DVD-player already can output via HDMI, maybe it could play movies in HD if it had a Blu-Ray drive. Would this be possible? How hard would it be? What Blu-Ray player could I buy to get that to work?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you player has hdmi output then it should be able to upscale to HD. If the upscaled output is still SD then there should be an output setting in the player to fix that.

As for swapping the drive, I doubt that could work since the software of the unit has to 'talk' to the drive and, more importantly, deal with the output. I do not expect the software to have Blu-ray playback codecs etc.

You could always contact Sony to see if there is an upgrade path where you could download new software for Blu-ray playback and they could then also suggest the appropriate drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You could always contact Sony to see if there is an upgrade path where you could download new software for Blu-ray playback and they could then also suggest the appropriate drive.
    This is a "You've got a better chance buying a lottery ticket and winning it than this happening" kind of suggestion that MIGHT (but almost certainly will NOT) be possible, but you shouldn't count on it.

Honestly, do we really do people favors when we suggest 1 in a million chance things like this without telling them explicitly "There is almost no chance of this being possible, but it costs nothing to ask"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Pruttmakare View Post
    could I potentially open up the DVD-player and change out the DVD-drive inside to a Blu-Ray drive?
    No! You're in Sweden so this post on AVforum should work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pruttmakare View Post
    Hello!

I have a Sony dav-dz230 DVD Home Theatre System, and for a while I've been wanting to upgrade my surround sound to blu-ray. I've been previously playing my Blu-Rays with my PS3, but since the dav-dz230 doesn't have a optical input, I can't plug my PS3 into my surround sound to play the blu-rays in surround.

Then something came to mind. I remembered that the dav-dz230 has an HDMI-output, even though it's just a DVD-player. Therefor all the menus are in HD, but as soon as I start playing a DVD, the quality goes down to SD. So I was thinking, since the dav-dz230 is able to output video to HD, could I potentially open up the DVD-player and change out the DVD-drive inside to a Blu-Ray drive? I don't know how the wiring looks, but since the DVD-player already can output via HDMI, maybe it could play movies in HD if it had a Blu-Ray drive. Would this be possible? How hard would it be? What Blu-Ray player could I buy to get that to work?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    It isn't possible to turn a DVD home theater system into a Blu-Ray home theater system. There are too many hardware differences beyond the drives.

If you want a Blu-Ray home theater system, you will need to buy one
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!