VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only a mallet and my laptop. How can I make copies of the last frame of a video so that it appears to pause for n seconds?

Actually, I also have VLC, VirtualDubMod and various other free things.

I tried to follow the thread about prepending a PNG. But, my various attempts so far have failed in some way. A "snapshot" in VLC saved as the defult mp4 settings lasts 9 seconds?! When I try to appended it using vlc from the command line it does not appear in the resulting file. And other problems with VirtualDubMod instead (yes, I know that is ancient).

Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This works for AVI files.
    Open the file in VirtualDub.
    Scrub to the second last visible frame.
    Mark the inpoint using the left flag thingie.
    Scrub to the last visible frame and mark the outpoint with the right flag thingie.
    Press CtrlC.
    Press CtrlV repeatedly for the number of required frames.
    Click Video>Smart processing and Video>compression.
    Select the same compression as the original.
    Save the file.
    Smart processing means that only the added frames are encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, I would recommend using the newest version of Virtualdub.

Open file and go to last frame and choose Video > Copy source frame to clipboard ( control 1 ) . Paste frame into photo editing software and save as ping or bitmap image.

Open image in Virtualdub. Default frame rate is 10 seconds. You can change to however long you want the frame to be. Under Video > Frame Rate > Frame Rate Conversion > Tick Convert to fps and add frame rate of original file.

Go to Audio > Audio from other file > Add an audio file with no volume (preferably with same attributes as original). Save audio and video with same attributes as original. If you don’t add audio then the audio will be out of sync.

Open first file in Virtualdub and append the second file (if Virtualdub refuses to append then either append using Avidemux or MKVmerge). I prefer to use MKVmerge to append the clips.

If you would like, you can fade out the pause using Virtualdub with the Fill filter in Blend mode and using the Curve editor under View. This would make a good transition between two scenes if you did a pause with the first frame of the second scene.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. That worked.

I don't follow how the frame rate conversion works. With the PNG source at 10 fps converted to 30fps, I get a 0.1second video. So, I thought I would try source at 0.1 fps to 30fps Hoping that would be 10 seconds. The video said it was 10 seconds long. But, once I appended it to a 7 second video, the result was 50 minutes something seconds...

Are you able to explain how the conversion works, or was 0.1fps supposed to result in 10 seconds?

What I ended up doing was appending 10 of the 0.1 second videos and then using that as a 1 second video and then appended 5 of those getting a 5 second pause.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The top section of the frame rate window (Source Rate Adjustment) is for altering the speed of the video. To slow the video down, you use a lower number and to speed the video up, you use a higher number.

The lower section (Frame Rate Conversion) allows you to process as many frames as you like (Decimate) and to Convert to fps.

Setting Source Rate Adjustment from 10.000 to 0.0999 will produce a video with each photo lasting 10 seconds. For Frame Rate Conversion, set fps to match video you're trying to join.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!