VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

This question might be a common one, but I haven't found an explanation yet after searching for about 4 hours; perhaps I dont know the right keywords.

Actually, I want to calculate the bandwidth consumed in watching a live stream, along with knowing the bitrate, resolution and FPS of that stream. Take this for example

http://live.arynews.tv
    http://live.samaa.tv

If I watch one of this stream for 1 hour, how much data I have used?

I want to use a Raspberry Pi to make a device that when plugged into TV can display these streams. Raspberry Pi will use internet from LAN or 3g/4g; that's why bandwidth calculation is a major concern.

I would also appreciate any additional guidance on making this sort of project. Which techniques can be used to make an optimum play of that stream without any pause (buffering).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    i found this software named "Netlimiter". Find the screenshot. The kbps circled in black are of the chrome instance in which live.samaa.tv was running. On Samaa it shows 50kbps on average. When I run live.arynews.tv it was showing around 150KB per second. Hence my calculation goes like this,

10 hours per day for 30 days makes 10*30*60*60 = 1080000 seconds total.
    1080000*150 = 162000000 kbs per month = 155GB approx.

By same calculation, i get around 55GB on 50kbps bitrate, that was for Samaa. Now Samaa's quality is way better than ARY; i believe this decrease in bitrate despite of higher quality is due to better and different encoding techniques.

if my calculations are right then it means a maximum of 200GB per month data will be consumed on a safe side watching these 2 channels.

when I input the same time and a bitrate of around 550kbps on netromedia calculator it gives a total bandwidth required for 1 viewer to be around 100GB. According to the above formula, it should be much higher than 100GB. So my idea is that netromedia asks about the production bitrate from you, and it calculates the bandwidth after applying encoding to make the stream. After encoding the bitrate will be lesser than 100kbps.

What do you say? My ideas and my calculations are right?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	netlimiter.png
Views:	227
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	27440  

Last edited by arslanzaidi; 14th Sep 2014 at 11:37.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!