VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi All, I have an older sony rdr-vx500 dvd\vhs recorder. Having recently dumped my cable tv subscription, I'm on a antenna, and all the the stations that come in are numbered point something. For example channel 2 does not come in but 2.1 or 2.2 comes in very good. There isn't a way, as far as I know, to put that point something in to the dvd recorder in order to program. Any Help? Thanks in advance. Chas
    Quote Quote  
  2. That device doesn't have an ATSC (digital over-the-air) tuner. You need an external ATSC tuner box that can put out composite video. Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-150PVR-HomeWorx-Converter-Recording/dp/B00I2ZBD1U/

But if you use that you might as well attach a USB drive and record there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    jagabo, Thanks for quick reply. Is the tuner box you're talking about the same or similar to the converter boxes that were around during the transition from analog to digital. If not, where would I find one, and how much?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    jagabo, got the link, thanks. not sure I understand how the usb would work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You record the shows to the external USB HDD and if you really must keep a hard copy of it record it with your Sony through the composite output of the Homeworx. Or, get TSdoctor and edit/convert it to DVD on your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need an ATSC to analog converter box to hook up to your old DVD recorder. Note that some models have a recording feature themselves, which you can use for recording TV shows to an external hard drive or sometimes a USB flash drive. (The hard drive should be powered by plugging into a wall socket. USB powered external hard drives may not receive enough power to work.) (Too late. jagabo beat me to it.)

Here is an example:
    http://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Multi-Function-Converter-Recording-Playback/dp/B00GOILYB6

An example of the type of hard drive to get, although this one may need to be reformatted:
    http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-eSATA-External-Drive/dp/B003MVZ60S
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    So it there a way to record directly to a HDD right from the tv (sony brivia kdl 37xbr6), I'm not seeing a video out only audio, and not use the dvd recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cpb1 View Post
    So it there a way to record directly to a HDD right from the tv (ony brivia kdl 37xbr6), I'm not seeing a video out only audio, and not use the dvd recorder?
    There is no way to use your TV to supply video to the DVD recorder or a hard drive. All the video connections on your TV are for input. It has no connections that can output video to a DVD recorder. The USB connection on your TV is also for input (or for use by repair technicians), not output.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Sep 2014 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    thanks UQ
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by cpb1 View Post
    ... and not use the dvd recorder?
    The HW-150PVR Jagabo linked to is an ATSC TV tuner+recorder. You would hook up the coax cable from your antenna to its antenna in connector and add a short piece of coax from its RF out connector to your TV's antenna in connector, then go to settings and set the RF out type to pass through. This way you can watch TV normally and record another station at the same time. To play back the recordings, you would connect the PVR to the TV with an HDMI cable and switch the TV input to the matching HDMI position. You can also use the PVR to watch and pause/rewind live TV.

The only time you would want to use the Sony recorder is to make a DVD or VHS of a show you previously recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    so where is the content stored? If I wanted to record a series that was on the same time every week and then binge watch the whole series, like the old setting up the vcr and just making sure a fresh tape was in the machine before the new episode recorded. That's what I was looking to do but with the better quality of dvd. I don't have to use the dvd recorder, after I watched them I would record over them. anyway but if i could use a HDD I have laying around, all the better. Cost is my big hurdle. I haven't priced a newer recording device but not sure I want to spend 50 plus shipping for another box. Thanks for your thoughts. Chas
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by cpb1 View Post
    so where is the content stored?
    On a USB drive (flash or hard disk) connected to the tuner/PVR. A 2 TB drive will hold hundreds of hours of high def video.

Unusually_quiet linked to a cheaper tuner/PVR -- one claims to have an episode guide which would make recording easier. On the other hand it doesn't seem to include media player capabilities (the ability to play MP4, MKV, AVI files).
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Sep 2014 at 17:11.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so where is the content stored? If I wanted to record a series that was on the same time every week and then binge watch the whole series, like the old setting up the vcr and just making sure a fresh tape was in the machine before the new episode recorded. That's what I was looking to do but with the better quality of dvd. I don't have to use the dvd recorder, after I watched them I would record over them. anyway but if i could use a HDD I have laying around, all the better. Cost is my big hurdle. I haven't priced a newer recording device but not sure I want to spend 50 plus shipping for another box. Thanks for your thoughts. Chas
    I guess you might be able to find a used converter box from 2008-2009 on ebay or at a thrift shop to save some money. For what its worth, the 2008-2009 converter boxes cost between $40 and $75 when new, although none allowed attached storage for recording, and none had any HD video connections (those features were not allowed).
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can still get cheap ATSC tuner boxes, US$30:

http://www.amazon.com/Proscan-PAT102-B-Converter-Broadcast-Reception/dp/B00JHHMX84/

Here's a cheaper model like the one I linked to earlier:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW180STB-HomeWorx-Converter-Function/dp/B00G5RXM16/

It has HDMI but not component outputs.

Just go to Amazon and search for "ATSC tuner". Many devices are available.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cpb1 View Post
    ... not sure I want to spend 50 plus shipping for another box. Thanks for your thoughts. Chas
    It's much cheaper from Newegg with free shipping and there's a 15% promo code until the 9th. If you can, get the 3 year extended warranty for 8 bucks.

Two major reasons to look for a newer box, timers and HDMI output. The only old box I know of with the timer option is the Zinwell ZAT-970. There were a few Chinese boxes with HDMI out, a semi-reputable one I can remember is the Digiwave DTV-5000.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    ... not sure I want to spend 50 plus shipping for another box. Thanks for your thoughts. Chas
    It's much cheaper from Newegg with free shipping and there's a 15% promo code until the 9th. If you can, get the 3 year extended warranty for 8 bucks.

Two major reasons to look for a newer box, timers and HDMI output. The only old box I know of with the timer option is the Zinwell ZAT-970. There were a few Chinese boxes with HDMI out, a semi-reputable one I can remember is the Digiwave DTV-5000.
    The old DTVPal and TR40 DTV converter boxes from Dish have timers too, but the internal clock is continually set by the time stamp sent in the TV signal. If the time stamp is wrong, and it almost always was in 2009, the box changes channels at the wrong time.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Hello All, I decided to go with the mediasonic from newegg. Thanks for all of your input and help. Good to know you're out there. Chas
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Hello All, finally got the Homeworx HW-150pvr, and more importantly, the time to play with it, I have a few questions on hookup if anyone can help. The current setup is Sony Bravia kdl-37xbr6 and a sony rdr-vx500, on a rooftop antenna, no cable or dish. What I would like to do is be able to record on a timer(best case) or by recording what is currently on the TV to a rewritable dvd. (The dvd thing would be easier for my wife to just be able to pop it in and watch. The less gadgets she has to fuss with, the happier.) I know the sony does not have a digital tuner and I do have a hard drive that I can use to record directly from the pvr. So I guess my questions are:
    How do you save/name the file on the hd from the pvr, and what format will it save to? Should the tuner in the pvr be as good or better than in the sony recorder?
    If I want to include the sony rdr in the set up, does the antenna come out of the wall into the pvr, out of the pvr into the sony recorder, out of the sony recorder into the TV and if I do it that way will the sony recorder now have a digital tuner(the pvr?)
    Do the cable splitters go both ways (can I put two “in’s” into a splitter and have a single lead to the TV?
    Confused?, I am. Thanks for any and all help. Chas
    Quote Quote  
  19. Feed the antenna into the HW150, then have a cable come out of the HW150 to the TV antenna in. In the HW150 setup menu set the RF out to pass through; don't turn the power switch off or you'll lose the antenna to the TV, standby is OK. Hookup the HW150 to the TV with an HDMI cable. This way you can record one channel and watch a different one. To playback a recording from the HW150 attached HDD, switch the TV input to the matching HDMI port. To record to DVD, hookup a composite cable from the HW150 to the DVD recorder input and select that input when you want to record.

There's 2 ways you can transfer to DVD:
    1- Attach a HDD to the HW150 and have it record to the hard drive, then play it back and record it on the Sony.
    2- Set the HW150 timer to turn on and select the station (with or without the HDD) and set the Sony timer the same way to record the composite input.

The first method is best if you only want to make a hard copy of a few shows, the second is better for your wife, but the best would be to just watch your shows off the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    nic2k4, Thanks for the reply. Sorry, but I'm still confused, easy to do these days, it seems, Lets see if what I have makes sense to you. Antenna to hw-150 rf in, rf out to dvd recorder antenna in (vhs in), dvd recorder out to tv in. Hw-150 composites out to dvd recorder composites in, dvd recorder composites out to tv composites in, hw-150 hdmi out to tv hdmi in, hw-150 usb out to hdd usb.
    That is the way I have it and with the hw-150 on I lose a few channels but it's not programmed yet. When I went to program, I selected the proper input and went a step or two and it showed no signal. tried to program with input set to tv and programming setup didn't show. Maybe no signal because the dvd recorder wasn't on? Thanks for your time. Chas
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by cpb1 View Post
    Antenna to hw-150 rf in, rf out to dvd recorder antenna in (vhs in), dvd recorder out to tv in.
    No, sorry I meant to add that when you daisy chain the antenna through the HW150 with its RF out set to pass through you preserve the signal strength; you could use a splitter, but then you would lose at least 3.5dB and even 7dB with a three way splitter. The way you hooked up the HW150 RF out is not useful since the recorder doesn't have an ATSC tuner. You would have to set the HW150 RF out to either channel 3 or 4, then the recorder could record on that channel, but you would have to use a splitter on the antenna to connect the TV. So to clarify:

Antenna --> HW150PVR Antenna IN --> HW150PVR RFout --> TV Antenna IN ,

no antenna connection to the recorder and go to the HW150PVR setup menu and set the RFout to pass through.

Hw-150 composites out to dvd recorder composites in, dvd recorder composites out to tv composites in, hw-150 hdmi out to tv hdmi in, hw-150 usb out to hdd usb.
    Yes, and might want to consider connecting the recorder to the TV through the component port for better picture. With the recorder connected through the TV A/V input only, the recorder TV/VCR button is out of play so it won't prevent the TV from showing a different channel.

That is the way I have it and with the hw-150 on I lose a few channels but it's not programmed yet. When I went to program, I selected the proper input and went a step or two and it showed no signal. tried to program with input set to tv and programming setup didn't show.
    Make sure to set the HW150 RFout to pass through. When you say you lose a few channels do you mean that the HW150 doesn't pickup as many as your TV? That's not unusual, those set top tuners aren't as good as the TV built in ones. You might want to look for a better antenna.

Maybe no signal because the dvd recorder wasn't on?
    Could very well be, change your setup like I said and get back to me.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    nic2k4- With only a little time this morning, I set up according to your instructions and everything seems to be working fine. Hopefully I'll have more time later in the day to try out recording options etc. Funny though, I did not see any options to change or set RF out to pass through. Thanks for all your time and help. Chas
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by cpb1 View Post
    Funny though, I did not see any options to change or set RF out to pass through.
    I haven't been home for a couple months so I can't check mine to see where that setting is in the menu and what's the exact wording, but if you go through all the menus you will see an entry that either says Pass Through, 3 or 4. It's possible that the default is pass through, then you're all set. If you can watch one channel on the TV while the HW150 is powered on and set to a different one, then it's likely that the RFout is pass through. Otherwise the TV's tuner will only be able to get channel 3 or 4.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have Homeworx PVR
    in my opinion that is one greaat little device
    i record OTA HDTV in what ever signal is being broadcast some channels 1240*720 some are 1920*1080 a 3 hour tv special is 16gb this is blu-ray quality

i edit the commercials out using videoRedo
    avs2dvd will convert these to DVD format , burn with image burn
    and yes you can have it record the same ch/program at the same time evvery week or every day as needed
    just be sure your program hasn't been bumped, or you will record the damn sports instead of your series

i love this thing.
    it has a quide of sorts, its the info the broadcaster is sending out, NOT something from the internet, or dl via phone line like tivo
    it only shows the next couple of hours..not days or weeks ahead
    but if you set the record timer, it will record on time, every time
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!