VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Apologies if this has already been asked, I did search semi-thoroughly.

I need to produce subtitles in both English and Arabic.
    I have transcripts available for both languages.
    The video source material is in English.
    I have English .srt produced by Youtube auto timing.

How can I produce Arabic .srt from these things without doing it by hand?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If they are truely identical, ie numbers of subs you can use Subtitle Edit and use the time code from the english subtitles to the Arabic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I downloaded the program. So this allows me to put in the English .srt and the Arabic transcript and it will generate timed Arabic subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes. Use File -> Import plain text (Arabic transcript). Then File -> Import time codes. (Select English .srt with time codes)

It'll give a warning if there's mismatch between the numbers of subtitles in the two cases. Then you may have to synchronize part of the Arabic one in SE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You've been a huge help, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You're right, there's a mismatch between the numbers of subtitles and lines of the transcript. Doesn't look like this is able to do what I need it to do, which is fine. It was a long-shot anyway.

Is there any auto-timing software like Youtube's that might be able to work with Arabic? Theoretically I shouldn't need the English .srts.
    Last edited by draekes; 6th Sep 2014 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can use SE regardless of the mismatch. Find where the timing goes off; highlights the following subtitles; right click and select Visual sync or Show earlier/later (just one of several possibilities)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are quite a varying range of speeds/pace of different languages, so the timing that works correctly for one language could easily be too difficult to sync correctly with another. Example: French vs. English. Subs aren't as bad as VO, but there would still be times when straight transcription+translation+1:1 timing matching would generate subs that "stumble over each other" or alternately, have weird gaps.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!