VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WD has pooched the firmware update for the WDTV Live Streaming model. Firmware 2.01.86 is fine. The update (2.02.86) stops the playback of High encoded H264's (YMMV). I had to re-encode with Baseline Constrained. Luckily, there is a "rollback" firmware update that brings your unit back to 2.01.86. Better to not even do the update. I turned off "check for updates" after I managed to get the unit functional again.

It's been over 3 weeks since they munged this and they haven't come up with a fix, only a rollback.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rollback instructions (which worked perfectly for me), including a link to download the last stable firmware version can be found here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-Firmware-no-longer-allows-cont.../781937#M32423

EDIT: APPLIES TO WDTV LIVE GEN 3 ONLY!!!
    Last edited by filmboss80; 5th Sep 2014 at 17:35. Reason: To clarify some confusion about version of device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    filmboss80,

Those instructions ended up bricking my unit (a Gen1). Luckily, I then downloaded the proper rollback update and, after copying the files to a freshly initialized flash drive and inserting it into the WDTV, it saw the update (the unit had been sitting at a screen with an international do-not-enter sign and 16 languages instructing me to insert the proper firmware) and completed the task.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    filmboss80,

Those instructions ended up bricking my unit (a Gen1). Luckily, I then downloaded the proper rollback update and, after copying the files to a freshly initialized flash drive and inserting it into the WDTV, it saw the update (the unit had been sitting at a screen with an international do-not-enter sign and 16 languages instructing me to insert the proper firmware) and completed the task.
    Yikes! Because the download and unzipped individual files were all labeled "wdtvlivegen3," it didn't occur to me that the "gen3" part might be overlooked. Sorry about that.

Let me specify that this is for WDTV Live Gen 3. (I subsequently added this specification to the bottom of my prior post.)
    Last edited by filmboss80; 5th Sep 2014 at 17:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's actually WD's fault because the device should have the ability to know what firmware is permitted. (By that I mean the firmware should have a device ID associated with it; it does not.)

As it turned out; the bricking is what actually permitted the correct firmware to be recognized. When I attempted to go directly to the proper rollback firmware, nothing happened; the device did not recognize that any firmware was there. Some on the WD forum have suggested renaming the firmware in the .ver file to a number higher than what is already installed; it is this that allegedly forces the device to run the firmware (even though the real firmware is a lower number). Confusing? Well, no one ever accused WD of having the user interface chops of Apple, eh?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!