VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im trying to capture using PremiereProCS5 and a MBPro that has both FW400 and FW800 but the camera im using (SonyTRV33E) appears to be offline. What do i need to check in order to solve this issue?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Be sure you are using FW400 directly, no adapters, no daisy chaining. Try plugging the camera to the computer, hitting play manually, and then turning on Premiere in that order.

Does any other software (iMovie) recognize the camera?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well to be frank there is an adapter turning the FW400 from 6pin to 4pin because i don't have a cable thats 4/6pin. I will check and let you know ASAP. Thanx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    4 vs. 6 pin really only has to do with powering, so if both ends of the chain are already powered by mains, that shouldn't affect it.

I'm pretty sure smrpix was referring to USB<-->Firewire or other similar "adapters".

Now, I've heard on another thread that the Apple-supplied Firewire-->Thunderbolt adapter supposedly works to correctly capture DV, but I cannot verify that at all. Just 2nd-hand anecdote. YMMV and Caveat Emptor. If it were me, I'd stick to what is known to work (FW400 direct only, w/TI chipset, PC (desktop), 2nd+fast HDD, lean+mean system).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeap it was the cable allright!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please be clear for posterity: which cable/connection worked and which didn't work?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well what didn't work was the following solution.
    A FW400 cable (6/6pin) on which i had and adapter connected that would convert 6pin to 4 pin so it would be connected to the mini dv camera.
    Now that i purchased a new FW400 cable (6/4pin), without using the adapter all is fine!
    In little time i will find out if the cause of sync loss etc. was due to the FW800 (that you say) port or something else!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!