VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Recently bought a Toshiba SD3005KB and it doesn't play DVDs in their original 4:3 aspect ratio. It stretches them to 16:9. I've tried changing it to 4:3 in the settings menu but it doesn't do anything. I've tried plugging the player into various combinations of HDMI, SCART and Coaxial but I simply can't get it to play in 4:3.

Anyone have any idea how to make this work?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure that it's the dvd player? And not your tv that has some auto full screen/stretch feature.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You don't mention anything about the tv you are watching on. It may not be set properly.

edit: beaten to it by baldrick again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    My TV has a 4:3 mode, but it doesn't change anything. My previous player, a Philips DVP3880, played DVDs in 4:3 just fine without having to change anything.

Can't find any auto full screen/stretch features.

Edit: Dug a little deeper and found a setting that forces the TV to 4:3, except the bars at the side are grey. Not black. It's quite distracting. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.
    Last edited by THGhost; 4th Sep 2014 at 12:50.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips DVD player and a Visio 3D LCD HDTV (yes. it's really a 3D TV) and my TV remote does not have a setting at all to change aspect ratio. So the only way I've found to get the DVD player to display 4:3 correctly is to go into its settings and set it up to send 480p output to the TV, which sends the video signal in a 4:3 window. My Samsung BluRay player will simply send the correct aspect ratio depending on the source video and I need make no changes. My point is that your problem can be the TV, the DVD player, or both.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!