VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I want to ask if exist any reduction or converter of Coaxial cable (TV cable - source antenna/cable) to composite or component or S-Video?

I don't want to transfer whole channel scale, only simple select channel and then capture its video and audio.
    Really I know that whole channel scale needs tuner, I own DVB-T A/D card but all programs except VirtualDub shows never any picture of any channel. VirualDub is good software, but when I start recording it does fatal error and appears BSOD, so is unusable.

For capture I'm using Movavi, AmaRecTV and software for Startech PCIe Video Capture Card.

Thank you for every help, reply or comments.

Miro
    Last edited by miro@hotmail; 6th Sep 2014 at 03:52. Reason: thread Q is solved
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You do not state your location but AFAIK cable would work like digital antenna source over here.

There is no such thing as 'simple select channel' as all channels are effectively transmited together so you DO need a tuner.

My guess is that your source is digital but your tuner is analogue or there is content scrambling which is why there is no picture or vdub is crashing.

Ebay does show converter boxes but these cost almost as much as a source compliant tuner card.

You would still have to consider any scrambling done by your provider. Someone with more knowledge of cable systems might expand on this depending on your location.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Problem of signal is not in analog or digital or scrambling.
    Source is Commodore 128 computer TV output. No coded, analog (I mean at 1985 was not digital output) and my tuner is analog & digital (really I never found any TV channel when I was scanning Digital...)

In all: I'm not using original software 'cause it's too and very wrong created and works not correctly anyway.
    Only VirtualDub shows picture, but recording causes BSOD - really don't know why.
    Your link to download VirtualDub - I have this version, so don't know reason why crashes.
    When I was using VirtualDub with old MB with integrated GFX it reported Video Driver Stop Working and before I could do any action again BSOD.
    Now, I have new MB with PCIe GFX and it reports no one problem with driver, only crashes to BSOD.
    Other software never crashed, but never displays TV signal so I'm confused...

Miro
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now where in your OP did you state Commodore 128 unless "Coaxial cable (TV cable - source antenna/cable)" has a whole new meaning. ?

Legacy computers of that era (I owned a Vic20) sent a analogue signal over a preset channel to the tv - you had to Tune in your tv to see the picture. In the same way as VCRs work. I do not remember now whether these computers allowed you to alter the output channel. If they did then it was quite a limited range.

So,again, you must tune in to that channel to see a picture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My Commodore C-64 had a standard composite video output that worked with any TV that had that sort of input. I would imagine the C-128 to have the same (or maybe even S-Video) since it came out a bit later.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. According to wikipedia the 128 has all the same outputs as the 64, with some additions. On the c64 the composite and s-video outputs are on an 8-pin DIN:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64#I.2FO_ports_and_power_supply

If you can find (or make) the adapter for that you get a better picture than using the RF output.

http://ilesj.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/c64-av-cable-theory-and-practice/

To use the RF coax connector you'll need a device with an analog TV tuner and composite/s-video output. If you have an old VHS deck you can probably use that for the job.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Sep 2014 at 11:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi!

OK, I must to explain it at all.
    I'm not only fan of Commodore 8-bit computers, topmost is Commodore 128, I'm also programmer and active on this platform.
    I have nice config and video is for me very important:
    C128 has 3 video outputs:
    Composite + Audio = VIC-IIe chip + SID
    RGBI = similar to CGA
    and RF = standard TV output

I want to get from it all.
    I'm using multiple monitors - C128 was 1st multiprocessor computer in production, allows 2 desktops.
    So, I need to record both desktops at same time.
    RF output is for me only for compare to composite video.
    I'm video fan since I joined this forum.
    I'm using TV Card, USB grabber and PCIe capture card - in ratio of resolution from 320×240 up to 1920×1080.
    I'm capturing C128, Videorecorder, HDTV.
    For capture VIC2E I have also alternative composite/SVHS2VGA and for RGBI CGA2VGA adapters with built-in deinterlacing.

I found this afternoon problem of my channel scan - C128 is connected via cable so I meant that I must to select input as cable - by switching to antenna is picture here... I know that's really stupid mistake, I'm not profi.

But you boys, I found here always good replies and advices.

Thank you all for everything!

Miro
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Glad you figured it out. However, in order to not confuse anyone else checking into this thread, I suggest you edit the title to include something like "[SOLVED] Commodore128 connection to PC problems".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Glad you figured it out. However, in order to not confuse anyone else checking into this thread, I suggest you edit the title to include something like "[SOLVED] Commodore128 connection to PC problems".

Scott
    Indeed.

If ever there was a topic who's header had nothing to do with what really was wanted, and neither was the OP, then this one must take the crown.

Enough to confuse a cat this one
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by miro@hotmail View Post
    In all: I'm not using original software 'cause it's too and very wrong created and works not correctly anyway.
    I admire you for not letting those pesky extra explaining words stop you from posting useless gibberish. Good for you. If I had original software that was "too" I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to use it either. Or maybe I would. Confused very am I your post about to due words lack of. Yes, indeed you aren't profi as you say later, but then again, who is? What is profi anyway? Is it legal in Alabama to be a profi? Bravo for making a subject that has nothing at all to do with your real need, making a first post explanation that was useless and then finally stating the real problem and finding your own problem and fixing it. Well played, sir, well played, although the Cretin Poster Gambit has been played by others before you, perhaps just as well in some cases or even better in a few. We look forward to not helping you again in the future with your inaccurately described problems and misleading subjects.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi!

OK, I accept. Thank you for explain.
    I didn't want to be pesky or gibberish, I meant it needs to be explained that original software added to TV Card really works not 'cause maybe reply will recommend me original software from CD. I own this TV Card from days when I was long time XP user, so I tried all possible (by manual when I was desperate).
    I don't want to make my Qs not acceptable or not wanted to reply 'cause in this forum I found always good explanation and advices.
    Lost this forum is for me very very bad... thank you for warning me.

Miro
    Quote Quote  
  12. You searching for demodulator/receiver/ so called tuner - you can buy such things on professional aftermarket but in the past they was also available as separate unit for various computer monitors (to allow use computer screens as TV).

From your perspective it can be easier to buy just USB/PCI/PCIe tuner and use this solution as way cheaper.

Some professional demodulator is listed on:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-DS-1000-MONITORING-DEVICE-DEMODULATORS-/281084188021
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blonder-Tongue-AD-Series-Agile-Demodulator-Model-AD-1-/261485230016

search for something similar in your area.

i've almost forget - you can use any older VCR - even corrupted they usually have working tuner which is able to output demodulated audio and video with good quality.

--
    seem that problem is solved
    Quote Quote  
  13. Problem was solved.
    I know that I marked it not as solved, but really don't know how to do it. If I try to edit reply and Go Advanced there's not possible to do anything with original title.

If anyone of you can help me with this it will be for me and for all users useful.

Thank you.

I tried it and sucesfully marked as SOLVED !

Miro
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you discovered how you CAN edit the topic header. But simply adding the word "SOLVED" to your original text adds nothing to this.

Other forum users will search for similar problems. If they come across your thread as it is headed, they will simply not get any help.

Scott has given you the words to write - "[SOLVED] Commodore128 connection to PC problems".. - At least then the topic header WILL match the guts of the topic.
    Quote Quote  
  15. OK, corrected to [SOLVED]

Miro
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!