VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an avi file made by a fuji digital camera looking through a microscope and it has picked up all the ambient sounds when the movie was made. Not good.

What I'd like to do it take out that audio and replace it with a mixture of music and narration, or at least one of them.

I have tried Movie Maker ( We have Win7 here ) and something's wrong with it and I can't fix it: it won't produce a a video, just black screens. Did that when I first tried to do this thing with it and now I find it actually does it with any file I give it and just ask it to save it.

Tried various things and eventually thought I had it done. Got the audio off with something, virtual dub mod maybe, or streamclip or something.

But now I find I've created an 7.8G file from a 65M video avi and a 1.5M mp3 audio.

Can someone please put me on the right track?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Back up and run one the original sample/source files through MediaInfo. Do a detailed text formatted export and post the contents of that here.

It sounds like you are starting with a highly compressed version and when doing the edit, you are re-encoding to a less compressed (or likely, UN-compressed) version, hence the ballooning in size.

Once we see the MediaInfo and are on the same page, I trust we can set you right...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use virtual dub : in the video menu, choose 'direct stream copy' : your video will not be decoded and recoded : it will be copied without quality loose.
    In the audio menu, choose 'Audio from another filer...' and select your audio/music file. Then choose also direct stream copy, or choose Full processing mode and and choose a compression method. You'll have to prepare your audio to have the same length that your video, if you don't want the end of video without sound (video longer than audio) or the end of music with black screen (audio longer than video).

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the output from that prog:
    General
    Complete name : C:\104_FUJI\streamclipped.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 63.8 MiB
    Duration : 19s 0ms
    Overall bit rate : 28.2 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Duration : 19s 0ms
    Bit rate : 28.2 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Original height : 1 440 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.018
    Stream size : 63.8 MiB (100%)

I will try the Virtual Dub thing as soon as I can. Right now it is busy time at home... can't get onto it again until after the kids are in bed.

I did say the Movie Maker plays the vids alright, didn't I? And plays the vid with the added sound alright, too?

And exports to youtube or saves locally alright, no complaints? But just makes a video that is all black. But the sound is there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, for this project at least, follow kitaro's advice & use Virtualdub and DO NOT use WMM. Save a copy of your modified version. Upload to YT manually, it's still easy.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. It did the job. Want to see it? https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=rlCl5YgrLcc&video_referrer=watch

That movie maker is fine when it's working... wonder what's wrong with it. No matter. This is all I need to do.

thanks again.

Next day: Well it's not quite all I want to do. I would like to add narration, too. Virtual Dub won't do that, will it?

What's the best way for me to go, can I ask you that? Is anyone still watching the thread?

Make an audio file somewhere else? Bit clumsy, running the vid in one window and recording a narration in another - then I'd have to sync them, wouldn't I?

The VDub fix is a totally excellent fix as far as it goes. Can I find something/some way just as straightforward and excellent for adding narration? then I'll really be done.

Last edited by abrogard; 5th Sep 2014 at 08:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For that kind of project you need a good NLE. Virtualdub isn't what I would consider as an NLE, good as it is. Just a simple editor (cutter/joiner) and processor & converter. WMM isn't one either, mainly because it's too much of a toy to be called "good".

You'll likely end up having to pay something to get to that next level, and for that, I'd go with Sony Vegas Movie Studio, which is $50USD, but can be gotten for cheaper.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. I googled a bit and saw a mention of adobe premier pro. I remember I used to have a copy of that. It'd be pretty old now - 6 or 7 years, maybe more. Still might be useful?

Otherwise there's Blender, I see. Might be good?

Or pay for Vegas Movie Studio. As you suggest.

Thanks for the info. I'll see how I go. Look for Adobe first I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  9. A free NLE is AviUtil. There's tutorial & tips here at the site.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. Sounds good. I've downloaded it and tried it but I get some errors. Can't get it to work. So I've started a thread asking for help. since then I downloaded the Japanese version of the prog and moved the aviutl.exe file from it into the directory of that other one but that didn't fix it. It still throws the same error messages.

The japanese thing throws up no error messages when I use it from it's own directory. But it only throws up one window instead of the two that the other thing puts up and, of course, it's in Japanese.

Quote Quote  
  11. AViutil is a very powerful and capable editor, however, it's so cryptic and sui generis I wouldn't recommend it for a learner. If your Premiere Pro version is CS3 or later, use it. If not, blow the $50 on Vegas Movie Studio so you can focus at least as much on doing the task as learning the software. (IMHO)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!