VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

I have this PAL DVD that is an official release but it has what I can only describe as weird / odd interlacing artifacts. I'd love to convert it to an x264 / AC-3 MKV file but I have no clue how to deinterlace it.

I uploaded a sample to MediaFire. This was cut out of one of the VOB files using VideoReDo and then saved as an *.mpg file. VideoReDo doesn't do any re-encoding (other than at the edit points which in this case would be the first few and last few frames).

Here's the file: CLICK HERE

Note that this is a ZIP file and the MPG file is inside of it.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's not interlace, just residual combing because the fields aren't aligned properly

I would use vinverse() on it
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree with it being caused by the fields not being aligned properly. I usually handle this kind of thing differently, though:

QTGMC()#at whatever settings or presets you like
    SelectEven()#or SelectOdd, whichever looks better

Admittedly, Vinverse will be a helluva lot faster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitles...... SUBTITLES!!!!!!
    LOL!!!

Yeah I watched it in VLC and MPCHC and it did not seem to need de-interlacing.

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!
    I have not seen you post in like eons!!!!

WAAAZ UP!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys I'll try playing around with what you suggested. It's really annoying because you can tell the picture looks really nice but the fields being aligned improperly really ruins it and the shame is that almost every DVD that this company releases has the exact same issue which makes it maddening since they otherwise appear to be nice remasters and despite being an Italian DVD label they often put on English of some sort (be it a dub track or subtitles).

And yes I barely post these days. I pretty much learned all that I need to know in the past and these days I mostly deal with progressive HD video and there really isn't much to that lol so I rarely need questions answered but thank god for this place (and people like manono) still being around!

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out how to use Vinverse and it seems to have made an improvement.

I tried QTGMC but I honestly don't get how to use it. I'm pretty sure I put all the needed *.dll files in the correct spot but then it says to do this and this confused me:

Install AviSynth and copy the plugins from the plugin package to the correct locations. Then to use QTGMC, write a script like this:

YourSource("yourfile") # DGDecode_mpeg2source, FFVideoSource, AviSource, whatever your source requires
    QTGMC( Preset="Slow" )
    SelectEven() # Add this line to keep original frame rate, leave it out for smoother doubled frame rate

Save this script with an ".avs" extension. You can now use it as an AVI source for encoding.
    I don't understand ... I'm used to loading a *.dll file and then just using the function ???

Quote Quote  
  7. I'm seeing video that has been dup-field deinteralced. I'd use something like:

Code:
    PointResize(width, height/2)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=width, fheight=height*2)
    Maybe with a little sharpening afterward.
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Sep 2014 at 21:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Code:
    PointResize(width, height/2)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=width, fheight=height*2)
    I like this result the best

The top & bottom borders are better, overall lines are cleaner when you zoom in

It's just resizing vertically down and up, but it works here

If it was just a field misalignment, then theoretically you could separate fields, and to decimal / subpixel shifts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the PointResize thing along with nnedi3_rpow2 and it does seem to look better than when I simply used vinverse so thanks a lot!

I'm encoding it now so after it's done I'll get back to this thread to report how well it turned out but I think it's going to be just fine.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link to the fixed clip. It's a MKV with x264 video and AC-3 audio. Again it's in a ZIP file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/94wpbep83p1ffes/VTS_03_2_fixed.zip

Encoding was done using RipBot264 and tweaking it's AviSynth script.

Thanks guys!

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!