VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    in the pic below i have the same single website page open in chrome and firefox. any clues what's the problem with chrome?
    Name:  2014-09-03_141756.png
Views: 232
Size:  40.1 KB
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can hit Shift Escape to bring up the Chrome memory manager and see what's using up memory, but to be honest with you, a lot of this is "That's just how Chrome works" and there is not a lot you can do about it. There some kind of Flash blocker program you can use (Flash is built in to Chrome by the way) that will help some, but the more tabs you have open, the more memory it will use. Chrome uses memory to speed itself up and provide some stability options over Firefox and IE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wow is all i can say. chrome opens 6 versions of itself immediately when i start it. and that above is chrome with ONE tab open - about 1.95GB used.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like and use Chrome in Linux, but I won't install it on Windows.......................

also remember that Chrome runs in a sandbox, so it will use more memory.
    The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of the man in his prime.......
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All those listings under task manager are not 6 copies of chrome. They're modules that just show up in task manager like that. I'm running it in Linux and my task manager shows this, albeit cryptically.

However, it should not be using 1.95Gb with one tab open. I'm using chrome right now in a 1Gb netbook with 2 tabs open and a few plugins. It'd be unusable if that were remotely normal behavior. Yes, Linux with the Xfce DE is efficient. But not that much.

Myself I'd start looking for memory leaks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is what System Monitor says about Chrome in Linux. Much less memory than what your's is using.
    Attached Images  
    The memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of the man in his prime.......
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess aediuss loaded a page with a lot of graphics, script, or being plagued by malicious script/plugin

Note how Gmail takes a lot more memory than other page:
    Name:  ChromeMemUsageWindows7.PNG
Views: 95
Size:  38.3 KB
    AviUtl i18n, plugin developer.
    Member of ふえるわかめ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it was a page with tons of pictures and videos. i was just curious as firefox had the same page open with less than 400k used. looks like chrome must load all the graphics into memory and firefox not.
    --
    Quote Quote