VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

I bought a Pioneer BD-206D one year ago. Only now I'm using it regularly. The product has problems with some blu-ray media discs.

I already tested: Sony and TDK and it doesn't recognize these brands. Only Phillips (Quantum Optimal) and Fortrek were recognized by Pioneer BD206. It's strange because I ever thought that Phillips and Fortrek were a type of second line brands to blu-ray.

Please, someone knows why this Blu-ray player/recorder has this problems? Is possible to fix it?

and which blu-ray media disc are better to use?

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Try identifying the mid codes of all the different discs. You can find them in ImgBurn very easily. Discovery mode will work. Discs with Ritek mid codes are generally to be avoided.

The best brands for Blu-ray media are Verbatim, FTI/Falcon and Panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer SHOULD be a good burner. I've got a Pioneer and an LG BD burner in my PC and the Pioneer is the best. It's not even close.

What are you using for burning? We recommend ImgBurn, which is free. Other programs may not have a write strategy for some media and switching to ImgBurn can help. Also, doing a firmware update may be helpful with this problem.

Kerry56 told you which brands are good and you aren't using good brands. That is part of the problem, but using ImgBurn and possibly updating the firmware may help if you don't want to buy different (better) discs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Try identifying the mid codes of all the different discs. You can find them in ImgBurn very easily. Discovery mode will work. Discs with Ritek mid codes are generally to be avoided.

Hi Kerry,

I made the test. Unfortunately these Sony Blu-ray media discs are Ritek mid codes.

Something stranger happened., when I was using the ImgBurn software magically the Pioneer player recognized the Sony media, then I recorded one video into it. However when I tried to read the blu-ray that I've just recorded, it didn't work.

I will buy these media discs that you've recommended. Thank you!

Pioneer SHOULD be a good burner. I've got a Pioneer and an LG BD burner in my PC and the Pioneer is the best. It's not even close.

What are you using for burning? We recommend ImgBurn, which is free. Other programs may not have a write strategy for some media and switching to ImgBurn can help. Also, doing a firmware update may be helpful with this problem.

Kerry56 told you which brands are good and you aren't using good brands. That is part of the problem, but using ImgBurn and possibly updating the firmware may help if you don't want to buy different (better) discs.
    Yes, I agree with you jman, Pioneer is the best.

I had already updated the firmware.

Like I said to Kerry above, using this software ImgBurn fortunately the Pioneer is recognizing the Sony and TDK media disc, and I still can record something on it. However, I can't read the files that I've just recorded. So, I used a Playstation 3 to read and it worked. It's strange, Pioneer read the blank media, record something into it but can't read the media after that.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using LTH type BD-R discs? They will say LTH on them if that is what they are. Also you can look on the dye side and if it looks golden or yellow, those are LTH discs. Those sometimes have problems being recognized in PC readers. The only LTH discs I trust any more are Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden used to make some excellent ones about 2 years ago, but then they changed the manufacture process and their LTH discs aren't as good as the old ones.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Are you using LTH type BD-R discs? They will say LTH on them if that is what they are. Also you can look on the dye side and if it looks golden or yellow, those are LTH discs. Those sometimes have problems being recognized in PC readers. The only LTH discs I trust any more are Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden used to make some excellent ones about 2 years ago, but then they changed the manufacture process and their LTH discs aren't as good as the old ones.

Well, unfortunately the Sony media discs that I'm using are yellow .

I bought it because the amazon customers gave a good rate for it.

Code:
    http://www.amazon.com/SONY-Blu-ray-Discs-50-Spindle/dp/B0081CVAQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1409958770&sr=1-1&keywords=Sony+BD-R+Blu-Ray+25gb

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post

Hi Kerry,

Seems that these best brands: Verbatim, Falcon and Panasonic also has Ritek versions, unfortunately. Because, I bought one Verbatim of Japan that ImgBurn said was a Ritek version.

So, do you know if there is one way to buy only good mode blu-ray discs (maybe a specific product)?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've NEVER heard of Verbatim using Ritek manufactured media anywhere, especially in Japan. It sounds to me like you bought bootleg BluRay discs. I've got some Verbatim Japanese BD-R LTH discs and they definitely aren't made by Ritek.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Ritek found under the Verbatim brand is news to me too. I would be suspicious of its origin. Known reliable source or not?

Verbatim Blu-ray is usually manufactured in CMC Magnetics factories in Taiwan, and use Verbatim specific mid codes, like VERBATIMa-000, VERBATIMc-000, and so forth. Occasionally in the past, you would see Verbatim made in Japan, but those seem to be rare now, and they used variations of the Verbatim mid codes anyway.

Falcon/FTI will use TDK mid codes in their Blu-ray, as far as I am aware. Panasonic uses mid codes that start with MEI (Matsushita Electric).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    This thread triggered a recent memory of a discussion on media over at MyCE. In that thread, we found that the brand That's, which is owned by Taiyo Yuden, is now using double layer Blu-ray media made by Panasonic, and is very good. But That's brand single layer Blu-ray can be either Ritek or Panasonic mid codes. http://club.myce.com/f33/thats-bd-r-panasonic-mid-dual-layer-single-layer-336674/

So, it is getting harder to keep up with suppliers, even for established brands.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

Now I know what's the problem. I have just installed other hardware "Pioneer BD209" and it is reading all the Blu-ray medias discs. So, the problem was my antique Pioneer BD206.

Thank you very much for all your help and replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NLP View Post
    Hi guys,

Now I know what's the problem. I have just installed other hardware "Pioneer BD209" and it is reading all the Blu-ray medias discs. So, the problem was my antique Pioneer BD206.

"antique Pioneer BD206" .. you have no idea what you are talking about.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!