VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am new to the forums and did a little bit of searching to find some information on what I am looking for. First what I am not looking for is the answer of just forget it, someone else is doing it or its already out there. From what I am doing and wanting to do, it is not out there or not looking for a lazy method. I am looking to develop a new video format, I am trying to find information on what programming language was used to create videos such as MP4, AVI, MPEG, etc... I am not looking to hack into current video standards put into the public. Any information or direction to what book, realistically, to use is available.

Thank you for your honest opinion

BMW guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    New video format to do WHAT? For what purpose?
    Or
    What niche/need will your format fill that all the others haven't?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it would be new and I would be creating the business, which therefore I will have patents on this video design. I would share when I do this. I cannot share when I do not have a patent nor an actual business. Therefore I mentioned I want honest methods of what programming language was used and I do not want to hack. This is publicly stated here. =)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Video container(mp4,avi,mpg,mkv) or video codec(mpeg2,h264,h265)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Either or of all videos were programming language from.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magicbmw View Post
    Hello,

I am new to the forums and did a little bit of searching to find some information on what I am looking for. First what I am not looking for is the answer of just forget it, someone else is doing it or its already out there. From what I am doing and wanting to do, it is not out there or not looking for a lazy method. I am looking to develop a new video format, I am trying to find information on what programming language was used to create videos such as MP4, AVI, MPEG, etc... I am not looking to hack into current video standards put into the public. Any information or direction to what book, realistically, to use is available.

Thank you for your honest opinion

BMW guy
    MP4, AVI, and MPEG are all container file formats. Are you asking about the containers themselves or what is inside them? Never mind. Baldrick asked first.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Programming language is NOT your top concern. What you need to do first is to decide on the format specification and features.
    Basically all codec use a mix of assembly, C98 and some C++99 codes for performance and compatibility reason.

Even for tailored format use in games, most are not completely reinventing the wheel.

I'd suggest you to dig into the development history of x265/HEVC and APNG(animated PNG). They have very different reception, and should shed light on what you should/not develop.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  8. Read, digest and understand all the latest video codecs, a simple requisite if you want to make something 'better'. Learn, or 'brush-up'on your assembly language skills, over multiply cpus and platforms. Do everything required, 'woo' the video community with the awesomeness of your new birth, pay the relevant hardware manufacturers (expensive) to adopt your great new format|container then who knows, you might be on to something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, it would be new and I would be creating the business, which therefore I will have patents on this video design. I would share when I do this. I cannot share when I do not have a patent nor an actual business. Therefore I mentioned I want honest methods of what programming language was used and I do not want to hack. This is publicly stated here. =)
    You don't have to share your patents, or any specifics on how you intend to satisfy a particular need, but if you cannot or will not even reveal what the market/need is, then in all likelihood you don't really know what you're doing, don't understand video, and are making this all up.

(BTW, this is from someone who has applied for some patents himself...)

And since you've already been rescued from derailment by MaverickTse (re: programming) and usually_quiet & Baldrick (re: containers, codecs), the odds are looking much more in that direction.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose you could start by downloading the source code to Xvid here:
    https://labs.xvid.com/source/
    and seeing if this is really and truly something you want to do. I picked Xvid as it's still used a reasonable amount and the source code is available, unlike a lot of codecs which are still under patent.

You might keep in mind the BBC's experience with Dirac, which was their attempt to provide a royalty free video codec. Even though it's free and theoretically not infringing on any patents ("theoretical" because nobody has yet sued them over it, but such could still happen) it hasn't had much enthusiasm and few software players or encoding programs support it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully the source code helps give me incite on how to code from the video sensor to the OS.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by magicbmw View Post
    Hopefully the source code helps give me incite on how to code from the video sensor to the OS.
    I'm sorry but this right here tells me that not only do you not know what you are doing but you will never, ever know what you are doing.

There are so many things wrong with the way you structured your initial question to the responses that you have supplied that one has to laugh.

You actually had to ask what programming language was used to create various codecs, which tells me you have zero development experience. If you had done any development work you would know that the most commonly used one is C/C++ but that codecs have been developed in Java, Fortran, C/C++, Assembler, Pascal and could be developed in any full featured programming language.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the information. If you read what the first post mentions, which goes down to this post, then you just answered my question. I asked the question because I don't know what programming language was used entirely for all codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ill look at the codecs, but if there is any indepth information instead of skimming the top on what programming language was used on open source codec to prevent anyone from getting harmed hacking a businesses code, which again I am not into myself, just wanting to get another type of video created. Again this has not been used.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO if you really have to ask here you're frakked.
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, the O.P. has no idea of what he is trying to deal with

FWIW --- and from Dark Shikari, the One Himself

Originally Posted by x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/377
    The spec consists largely of C code copy-pasted from the VP8 source code — up to and including TODOs, “optimizations”, and even C-specific hacks, such as workarounds for the undefined behavior of signed right shift on negative numbers. In many places it is simply outright opaque. Copy-pasted C code is not a spec. I may have complained about the H.264 spec being overly verbose, but at least it’s precise. The VP8 spec, by comparison, is imprecise, unclear, and overly short, leaving many portions of the format very vaguely explained. Some parts even explicitly refuse to fully explain a particular feature, pointing to highly-optimized, nigh-impossible-to-understand reference code for an explanation. There’s no way in hell anyone could write a decoder solely with this spec alone.
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you can't even communicate clearly, then you are doomed... no matter what business you try to develop.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand everyone might have the knowledge inside them of what all video formats have been made. Which everyone can have fun as they wish with what I just mentioned. Yes, I do understand there is a lot of coding, time and work involved in which something new will be created and everyone can enjoy. We have all seen this with the growth of Information Technology from all inventors from the past to now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if this is a new troll or an old one with a new user name?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I understand everyone might have the knowledge inside them of what all video formats have been made. Which everyone can have fun as they wish with what I just mentioned. Yes, I do understand there is a lot of coding, time and work involved in which something new will be created and everyone can enjoy. We have all seen this with the growth of Information Technology from all inventors from the past to now.
    And your point being?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not attempting to goof around nor looking to get trolled on as well. Like I said have your fun having fun on others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're just being elliptical. I've already asked - in all seriousness - what your market/need is that drives your choice to re-invent the wheel and create "a new video format", and all you've done is talk about finding sources for programming, etc. Twice you've avoided answering the simple question that is at the heart of the whole reason for doing all this. I could help if you'd just lay it out there. You know, something like "video that is circular instead of rectangular, because it helps ...".

So, yes, you are goofing around, and you likely will get "trolled on" (not by me, unless you consider even this trolling, and then, well, "them's the breaks").

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, some members have already explained that you have a lot of homework to do. A "video format" can be defined as a "method" to convert uncompressed (or "raw") video into a compressed byte-sequence. The "method" translates as «A LOT OF mathematics». The programming languages are just a 'tool' to transform that truckload of mathematics into *something usable*. Therefore, if you don't have a clear idea of what is your goal, ANY programming language will keep being just "useless knowledge" for you.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 5th Sep 2014 at 01:32.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not want to put into detail what the visual imagery will be displayed actually out in public forums, due to having someone steal my idea. My idea does not consist of changing the button locations or ads or making it different shapes at all, or changing the color of black to grey for the backgrounds of the colors. I have been circling around because I do not want anyone to use/steal my idea. It is not the same as VR like Oculus Rift, or YouTube or audio/video streaming like Broadcast.com did in the past. It's new and I would incorporate this with current tech as well as making new tech devices going along similar with that tech.

So I am not trying to have fun with anyone at all, if you have been in the IT industry for a short or long period of time, I have as well. I am not anyone you have seen on TV or famous but I keep my eye on the future of myself and everyone else for something interesting and fun with tech.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, this is pointless then. If you are "circling around, not telling anyone details", responders have no choice but to just give back VAGUE suggestions.

What's amusing is that all those things you've mentioned so far make use of STANDARD video formats: from OcculusVR to YT to Broadcast and Broadcast.com to buttons on video in DVD and BD, interstitial ads, etc.

BTW, "ideas" seem to sometimes have a life of their own. And if you wait too long, it won't matter that you thought of it first, someone else will ALSO think of it and may use it. This has happened to me TWICE: once with an Audio 3D plugin in the '90s and once with a Stereo3D player design a decade ago. Good thing about those 2 is that my ideas still had/have unique features to them which means I can still patent them, should I desire. But I'm pretty satisfied with the current state of those 2 areas right now, so I'm content to work on other projects for now. And LOOK! I just told you 2 applications yet didn't divulge anything "detailed" enough to worry about stealing...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would be happy to tell everyone, but I am going to work on it first for the sheer use of making a business out of it. You can make a business out of any idea, some people do some people don't, it depends on your decision. It is a lot of work involved:

Creating the product
    100% quality and usability
    Sustainability of the product
    How to market the product, online videos, websites, social media, etc... Different types of marketing techniques
    Help guides, teaching guides, technical guides, putting guides with the actual product itself when sold and online
    Where to put the business
    How to sell the business product
    Creating the business plan
    Contacting banks for loans
    Creating departments for the company
    Hiring people, are the people right for the business? Are they willing to work on their career there and for the business?
    Health insurance for the employees and myself
    Contacting resellers to sell my product
    Online store, creating the website. All that goes with IT, networking, ISP, servers, workstations, programming for websites, ERP, embedded programming, QUALITY. If you do not have quality, you have failed and made it harder for everyone inside the company and out.
    Warehouse location, delivery company contacts.
    Government involvement due to this going to resellers, so FCC, etc...
    Microprocessors, chips, circuit board procurement and design and testing, QC control for customer quality satisfaction
    There is more, this is what all businesses we see today do which some people might or might not take for granted.

Are you comfortable speaking to government officials, or other CEOs, etc....

I hope someone does this about that because if you dont when you want to open a company which I am speaking of, then your not ready. You need to find yourself ready.
    Quote Quote  
  27. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    左様なら。
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    magicbmw, after reading through your posts again, I think you need to see your doctor. I'm not being funny. I have seen somebody with a serious medical problem speak in a similar fashion.
    Quote Quote  
  29. @usually_quiet:
    He does not need a doctor, but rather a course in social science.
    From the OP's response, I guess...
    1- He is a BBA/finance/marketing graduate or some capitalist
    2- He has little to none programming experience, and unaware of the complexity of codecs.
    3- As a result, he is intending to hire people to do the hard work, then take the patent himself(if anything got produced)

*somehow i have a strong feeling about 3... that's why he asked "what language" in the first place so that he would have an idea on what kind of people to hire/scam.
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    3- As a result, he is intending to hire people to do the hard work, then take the patent himself(if anything got produced)

*somehow i have a strong feeling about 3... that's why he asked "what language" in the first place so that he would have an idea on what kind of people to hire/scam.
    I considered that possibility, but a genuine entrepreneur typically has a clue about the technical aspects of the business he/she want to be in.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!