VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well prior to posting in the forums, I read, just from the internet on how some codecs are made and OSes. My knowledge is limited to just the internet. So I consider my time vauluable and feel like I have no need to go into all details with the business aspect, as I put most of all business information needed. I know the business side. I'll repeat myself again and again until I need to type it in a different language, not programming language, something easier to comprehend. Yes I did ask about the programming language because I can start working on it by myself, since nobody else wants to join in. I only work in person and not remotely when it comes directly to making a business. So therefore the people I have worked with just want to show up and do a job they already know and not have to change, because we all know change is scary!!!! So therefore I need to venture off on my own and do it myself. Learn all the ups and downs and rights and wrongs of something I already know. I'll just look at the coding on the iOS and other operations platforms on how to make my visual imagery come to life.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You do that little thing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This thread needs to be locked!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Could be worse.

We could be talking about Brazilian mushrooms...

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are Steve Bong, and I claim my £5
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think it's pretty obvious the OP thinks that by developing his own codec and container he can have a secure delivery system and everyone will come flocking to his doorstep. Security by obfuscation only works when you have a tiny market of un-motivated users. And it's been done before.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious the OP thinks that by developing his own codec and container he can have a secure delivery system and everyone will come flocking to his doorstep. Security by obfuscation only works when you have a tiny market of un-motivated users. And it's been done before.
    You mean by Apple, right?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm far from thinking everybody in the world will want it or like it. Not my intent. Nor into pressuring people thinking this is the next best thing compared to take out BBQ or electrical vehicles or the smartphone craze. Just an idea which I think would be interesting to make and share when it's done.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magicbmw View Post
    I'm far from thinking everybody in the world will want it or like it. Not my intent. Nor into pressuring people thinking this is the next best thing compared to take out BBQ or electrical vehicles or the smartphone craze.
    The fact that you would even say "smartphone craze" means that you clearly do not even a tiny bit understand the reality of what you propose to do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do understand the reality of it, I have already thought to entire spectrum of what type of people might use it. Remember there are people in the world that do not have cell phones nor want to use them, they exist, still. The smartphone era will be around for awhile until someone else comes along with something different. But anyways I am just talking about the obvious and seeing the obvious and not getting anywhere in here with people putting their defensive walls up. Thanks again, I'll research, test and develop this on my own. Everyone and anyone can develop something.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Most folks here love new ideas and are eager to help.

You asked a specific question and found the answer was more complicated than you had apparently counted on. When folks asked for more details, in order to help, you got all mysterious and jargon-y.

You've suffered some skeptical mockery here -- not particularly harsh or undeserved (IMHO), but you'll probably encounter worse as you move forward. Best of luck. There are lots of "early adopters" here, so let us know what you come up with when you're ready.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I guess what I have learned and read and experienced and currently studying and personally involved with and working on which have given me incite, which I am not going to share, again at all, and always directly involved in the middle of it. So with hopefully someone actually taking inconsideration, hey, maybe this person might know something, because, all I know is people could be copying and pasting information from another website to answer questions or working hard to not actually think on what someone idea might be such I have given incite as well, not full thought process due to I do not want to do the work someone else has done, for example recreate the automobile. Have fun with that. So with the details in the work I am doing, it is not shared at all. General guidelines is what I was looking for so I can get the experience. So please add more wording and statements to this in which does not actually help. Stay it is best to stay lost and in your own way.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Have you heard of the MPEG-LA? If not, I suggest you look into it. Basically you're not going to be able to create a completely new "format" or "compression" without infringing on at least a few patents held in the "patent troll consortium" ™. Even Google's army of lawyers had to pay them off (how nice of their marketing department to call it "came to an agreement" )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No need to use a programming language to create codex.

Many a codex has been written in Latin.

Someone mention mushrooms ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No need to use a programming language to create codex.

Many a codex has been written in Latin.

Someone mention mushrooms ?
    Oh, there is more ...

"Incite" is a verb meaning to stir up or antagonize. "Insight" is a noun meaning a deep or intuitive understanding of the nature of something. I thought perhaps the OP had confused the two words. but maybe not.

The OP has certainly incited VideoHelp's membership, while apparently completely failing to gain any understanding from the completely legitimate replies he received.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Sep 2014 at 17:27. Reason: punctuation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post #26 made me smile.

Here was our business expert almost preaching to some that already know.

Maybe this came from his course notes at:

http://mays.tamu.edu/

Problem is that banks, which hardly lend these days to sound, established business, would not give the time of day to a half-baked idea.

Maybe he even attended:

http://maysbusiness.tamu.edu/index.php/entrepreneurial-program-showcases-student-tech-ventures/

Shame he did not read this:

"Students get the experience of starting a business in a controlled, risk-free environment. They are provided with all the necessary tools to help them transform their ideas into sustainable business models. The over-arching goal of 3DS is to create a business that fills a market need and that can be a viable entrepreneurial investment lasting beyond the weekend."
    Quote Quote  
  17. Insight, man. Insight! Not incite. just wow. Not even gonna touch "inconsideration".

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well I guess what I have learned and read and experienced and currently studying and personally involved with and working on which have given me incite, which I am not going to share, again at all, and always directly involved in the middle of it. So with hopefully someone actually taking inconsideration, hey, maybe this person might know something, because, all I know is people could be copying and pasting information from another website to answer questions or working hard to not actually think on what someone idea might be such I have given incite as well, not full thought process due to I do not want to do the work someone else has done, for example recreate the automobile. Have fun with that. So with the details in the work I am doing, it is not shared at all. General guidelines is what I was looking for so I can get the experience. So please add more wording and statements to this in which does not actually help. Stay it is best to stay lost and in your own way.
    Could have sworn that Texas hadn't legalized marijuana yet...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I am back and thank you for your replies.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to understanding the encoding and decoding of a movie file or image file? I know there are class courses but looking for something I can go at my own pace.

Thanks guys
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    Well I am back and thank you for your replies.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to understanding the encoding and decoding of a movie file or image file? I know there are class courses but looking for something I can go at my own pace.

Thanks guys
    Here are some online lectures that may get you started:

http://freevideolectures.com/Course/2320/Digital-Voice-and-Picture-Communication/1

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, big help also the videos are on YouTube.

Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Videoes are helpful but I am interested into the encoding part.

I am myself want to develop a new type of digital image format. This is not the same as current RAW or compressed image files nor looking to just my own image format aside from PNG, JPEG, BMP. They have all there differences as I know but I am looking to take it into a different direction.

What is my problem? I dont know how to develop/write the code from scratch or learning to the point of where I can develop my own video container.

Why do I want to do this? I want to bring forth to the world another method of an imaging format for a business.

Who? Everyone to use on all systems. If you message me and live in the Dallas, Tx. area, even better. I understand the crazy world of IT and how far it has gotten but looking to provide, as said, a new method of imaging for everyone.

When? five years ago

How? with current technology and creation of our own.

Feel free to have fun, I dont care, I got long hair. I would share this idea with everyone, but that means everyone would know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Without more TECHNICAL DETAILS, you sound like just another big idea dreamer that nobody would take seriously.

NDA's will help once you are ready to dig deep, but there is no incentive at this point.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search PM
    Videoes are helpful but I am interested into the encoding part.
    Did you actually look at them, many of them are actually about encoding!

What is my problem? I dont know how to develop/write the code from scratch or learning to the point of where I can develop my own video container.
    Then you may have some issues.

I'd say there are a few main prerequisites:

1. Being able to make software programs which includes design, programming, building, release management, setting up build and test environments and proper bug tracking and feedback mechanisms.

2. Because you want to do things from scratch you also need to make routines in a low level programming language. To effectively program you need an understanding of buffering, essential algorithms and data structures, multi-threading and a good understanding of optimized instruction sets.

3. You need to understand basic information theory and abstract data compression concepts.

4. Understand existing video compression methods and algorithms, their pros and cons, suitability and the psycho-visual aspects of compression.

5. Have a drive to follow through.

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot to mention encoding as the actual programming part.

Thank you for the production methods taken for developing software I forget myself working in IT for 15 years.

I'll make an NDA form to whom I speak too, only spoke to nonprofit government based situations not single people that are money hungry.

I agree there is no incentive just need to have this information with detail then I'll communicate. Not the big dreaming type or think I'm the next Jay Z.
    Quote Quote  
  26. What is my problem? I dont know how to develop/write the code from scratch or learning to the point of where I can develop my own video container.
    Okay, so the goal is to develop a new video container not a new video compression format?

Assuming that really is the goal, you should first try to understand what that container format should be capable of.

Normally folks try to invent a new container format because some old format is lacking the support for something. They then read up on the old container format to a. try to understand what makes such a format 'tick' and b. why the limitation that they want to compensate exists.
    If the limitation is simply a thing that nobody ever wanted or thought about the 'only' things to do might be to:
    a. extend the existing format specification to allow the feature you want
    b. modify an existing muxer for that container to create content which is compatible to the new specification
    c. modify an existing splitter/demuxer to support the new specification

In case you want something totally different, which would require to much rewriting you think about a new format and start designing.

-> So the most basic thing is to understand why you would want/need to create a new container, or is this simply some programming exercise which is intended to last a few years. (as a side note: it normally is a bad thing to try to develop such content as a one man job)

Cu Selur

Ps.: Developing a new container format is way easier than developing a new competitive video compression format.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For gods sake - close this useless thread since the OP refuses to be forthwright and will not disclouse any usefull details............
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This would be a new video compression format and container due to the image/video would be displayed and manipulated. It's hard to say because the details tell what I am wanting to do so everyone would know this sounds vague for a reason sorry. I doubt I'll get everyone to sign an NDA
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search PM
    This would be a new video compression format and container due to the image/video would be displayed and manipulated. It's hard to say because the details tell what I am wanting to do so everyone would know this sounds vague for a reason sorry. I doubt I'll get everyone to sign an NDA

Quote Quote  
  30. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Then you'd better STOP right now.

Why do I want to do this? I want to bring forth to the world another method of an imaging format for a business.
    Please find a better way to make money. AND while you can.
    Because in a not-so-distant future, there will exist NO "business" at all
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!