VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all,

I have a friend who has shot some Sony Nex-7 .MTS footage and needs editing.
    Does anyone know what the best Avisynth source plugin to use?
    I have tried the following:

Loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGAVCDecode.dll")
    AVCsource("00014.mts")

but the results are not good (lots of noise in shadow area)

Any pointer will be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by PhotoCat View Post
    but the results are not good (lots of noise in shadow area)
    What makes you think that noise isn't in the video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Greetings jagabo! His large screen plasma TV (about 60inches) seems to reproduce quite well the typical lighting of the restaurant.
    It is too good for the APSC sensor & I was vy impressed with it. He used HDMI out from the Nex-7 directly into the TV.

But then when I loaded it up in avisynth, the story is totally different and am quite disappointed!
    Not only the noise is more, the resolving power is not there either.

Is it the noise reduction algorithm of the TV that made it pass for a fine figure?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  4. It seems more likely to me that the TV is applying noise reduction and sharpening filters. In theory, all h.264 decoders should output the same. I haven't used DgAVCDecode in a very long time but I doubt it's causing the noise -- unless it's having problems decoding the video. But then you would expect very gross errors, not a little noise in dark areas. You can try the ffmpeg source plugin as an alternative (ffVideoSource() or FFmpegSource2()). Even DirectShowSource() if you have DirectShow filters installed for playing the video.

Can you upload a small sample of the video?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Love to but not sure I can upload it without my friend's consent. And also there r too many guests in the clip so model release is another issue.
    All I can say is that the quality I can see in my PC is 10x worse than in his TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Beyond what jagabo has already said, there's also the variabilities of what happens to the clip after it is frameserved, which you don't mention at all. "AVISynth" is not an endpoint, it is a partial pipeline. What about the remainder of that pipeline?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I have previewed it from AvspMod and the quality is awful. Also frameserved to virtualdub and it is similarly awful.
    Sony's HDMI out or the TV is really doing an amazing job in pulling the shadows.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    BTW, it is just an amateur video for an Anniversary dinner. All auto and handheld. Quality set to 1080p, 30fps
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by PhotoCat View Post
    Sony's HDMI out or the TV is really doing an amazing job in pulling the shadows.
    "pulling the shadows" -- what does that mean?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So AvspMod, Virtualdub. Both of those might use a Windows rendering engine (VMR, EVR, etc) and then the driver for the card, and then you are what? - Showing it on the Monitor? or are you watching it via HDMI through to the same TV? and with the proper Range settings (0-255 vs. 16-235)?

It's like Apples vs. Oranges, until you clarify.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by PhotoCat View Post
    "pulling the shadows" -- what does that mean?
    I am sorry... I meant shadow details were clear.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    So AvspMod, Virtualdub. Both of those might use a Windows rendering engine (VMR, EVR, etc) and then the driver for the card, and then you are what? - Showing it on the Monitor? or are you watching it via HDMI through to the same TV? and with the proper Range settings (0-255 vs. 16-235)?

It's like Apples vs. Oranges, until you clarify.

Scott
    My preview ( bad quality) is on my computer running windows 7 64. The graphics card setting should be ok as my 5Dmk2 footages are showing really well in AvspMod and VirtualDub. My display also passed the following test:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326496-file-in-Virtualdub-has-strange-colors-when-o...=1#post2022085

My friend's preview was on his TV with HDMI connection directly to Nex-7. (vy good quality)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I know what u mean Scott. I will double check if I had crushed black. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The following Avisynth script worked fine for Sony Nex-7 video:

LoadPlugin("C:\Virtualdub32\LSMASH\LSMASHSource.dl l")
    Video = LWLibavVideoSource("00016.mts")
    # Separates the interlaced images and places them in individual frames
    Video = SeparateFields (Video)
    # Recreates the full frame by placing the lines to the original position
    Video = Bob (Video)
    converttorgb32(Video, matrix="rec601")

The DLL download info here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1692891#post1692891
    Quote Quote  
  15. You can reduce that script to:

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Virtualdub32\LSMASH\LSMASHSource.dll")
    LWLibavVideoSource("00016.mts")
    Bob()
    converttorgb32(matrix="rec601")
    That gives exactly the same result. If you put LSMASHSource.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder you don't need to explicitly import it in the script. Bob() is a poor deinterlacer. And you don't need to convert to RGB for most purposes.

So that script gives a different picture than your earlier AVCSource()? Can you show some example images?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Tks for the tip about the short cut jagabo!
    I think I wasn't aware of the fact that the nex-7 video I was given was interlaced and that caused a lot of problems.
    I hv not compared the 2 sources again after I figured that out. No, the noise problem is still there and
    the AVCsource may just give the same results. The video was about 0.5-0.8 stop under exposed because the background was quite bright.
    Well it is an amateur video with full auto on shot by a non-videographer.

Just tried the AVCsource again and somehow it is not working any more... sorry I know that's not the answer u r looking for...
    "The input file is not a DGA project file".
    Quote Quote  
  17. AVCSource("filename.DGA") -- not the name of the video file, the name of the index file you built with DgAVCIndex.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    same error with the .DGA file sitting there. Not sure why I had a .DGA file.
    My memory is really faulty... I have forgotten where I got the AVCsource in the first place... can't find the downloaded file...
    can u pls post a download link again? tks! To be honest, I am not sure I wanna edit my friend's video any more, since it was handheld and had too much abrupt
    panning... I am getting dizzy lol...
    Quote Quote  
  19. The DVAVCDec page here has what you need: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DGAVCDec
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Tks jagabo for the link! It is working now... Let me do some comparisons then... Off the bat, AVCSource doesn't look that bad after bob() deinterlace.
    The raw video is bad, however.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    these two sources have so similar IQ that I can't even tell them apart:

AVCsource("00016.dga")

and

LWLibavVideoSource("00016.mts")

As bob() is not vy good, can u recommend a better deinterlacing technique, preferably in avisynth. tks!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Better than Bob(): TDeint(mode=1), Yadif(mode=1), or QTGMC(). All are third part filters. QTMGC() is usually the best but is hard to set up the first time (because it relies on several other third party filters) and is the slowest. At it's default settings QTGMC() is 1/50 the speed of the other two. Try QTGMC(preset="fast") or some of the other presets for better performance.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Tks jagabo for the good info! Will give that a try...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!