VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to convert the movie Ida so that I can watch it on my XBOX One's Media Player (an XB1 app, currently in beta, that reads almost all media files except mkv off external flash drives). Ida is a foreign movie so I need the subtitles. I've got it in MKV format and also MPEG4 format. I can only see the subs when I am playing the files on my computer media players. I tried converting the mkv to mpeg4 using FLV Crunch (Mac), but the subs did not transfer, but otherwise the movies works great on my XB1.

So I need an MPEG or AVI file that shows the subs that will play on my XB1's Media Player. Is there someway to use VLC Player or some other app that can combine the sub file with the video file? How do I do this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake can burn in subtitles. But you must reconvert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Handbrake can burn in subtitles. But you must reconvert.
    That's great! Thank you. I have Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tired Handbrake and the subtitles didn't transfer. Or at least the are not playing on my XB1 Media Player. IN Handbreak, I added the external SRT file, but the option for "Burned In" was not available. I chose "default". The converted file will only ow the subs if I play it on VLC player and enable the subtitle track.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you want to burn-in subtitles with HandBrake they need to be in IDX/SUB, PGS, ASS or SSA format and they need to be muxed into your source.

You may use Vidcoder (=HandBrake) vers. 1.5.22.0 to burn-in SRT subtitles.
    Last edited by videobruger; 3rd Sep 2014 at 02:44. Reason: Correction
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, see this vidcoder guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364372-How-to-easily-burn-in-hardcode-srt-subtitles...-with-VidCoder

I forgot that handbrake burn in is not that good for external subs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay great. Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!