VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not used this labeler for a number of years and lost the program with change of computer and the CD is nowhere to be found. I still have a good supply of labels and the equipment to put them onto a disk but no way to print the text etc. There supposedly was an update to 2.0 which was available as a download but many hours of goggling has only led me to your forum.

Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ANY software which can print using a template should be able to work with those labels: Photoshop, MS Word, etc.

But I have to tell you this, and you may not want to hear this: You are hurting your CD/DVDs or your equipment by putting labels on them!

I've used labels in the (distant) past, but stopped. Labels add weight. Labels change the balance of the disc. Labels smear if wet/damp/humid. Labels have glue that gets into/onto things. Labels on CDs can actually (and I have seen this happen) PULL THE DATA LAYER OFF THE BACK OF THE CD, rendering the disc worthless. Labels are also a little "cheap"-looking.

For these reasons and more, I recommend you try one of the alternatives:
    1. Lightscribe discs & Lightscribe burner
    2. White-faced discs & Epson (or similar) on-disc printer
    3. Silkscreening at a replication plant
    4. Using a Sharpie

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice. I guess I was a little lucky on the disks I did. The reason I went looking to use labels was because I have been using a black fine tip Sharpie successfully for years until last week. This one I really put a lot of text on the Staples DVD-R and when I went to play it it gave me an error that it was either physically damaged of needed cleaning. I tried everything then had it suggest to me that writing on the disk was not a good idea. I held the disk up to a light and found that everything I had written was clearly visible though the recorded service so I cleaned 90 % of it off and the disk played perfectively.

What is the secret to using a Sharpie? Color? tip? what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1st and foremost: use good media. "Staples dvd-r" doesn't align with quality very often. Worse media has much more problems being read when labeled than does good media.
    2nd: actual Sharpie brand is less damaging than some of the others. But they also have a line specifically designed for writing on disc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never had a problem with sharpie disks
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!