VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had purchased the Samsung F-5100 but will not play the MKV Files burned on a Blu Ray Disc that with the size more than 4 gb. The Firmware is current one. I returned the player and changed to LG BDP-135 (latest model) and it plays all the MKV Files without problem but only letdown is the CINAVIA with some movies distributed by SONY.
    Why Samsung restrict their product to play MKV file burned on Blu Ray Disc? They are digging their grave for their product.
    Any one came across this problem?
    Thanks for reply.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's a firmware problem. I'd guess it was probably incompetence (an oversight) rather than deliberate design, but you never know. Samsung may have assumed that customers wouldn't burn large files to BD data discs so the firmware doesn't check for this possibility.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My Samsung Bluray player is a couple of years old. I can't remember the model number (it's written on the rear and hard to get to). I found a disc with a couple of larger than 4GB MKVs on it (4.1GB and 4.6GB) and gave it a test (I normally watch video via the USB input). It played them.

As jman98 said, it's possibly a firmware oversight. It may have been fixed.

Have Samsung got it together when it comes to aspect ratios yet? My Samsung Bluray player (and the TV's media player) don't obey the aspect ratios in MKVs or MP4s. They play everything as though the video consists of square pixels.

When I first bought the TV I emailed Samsung to express my disappointment. I received a reply stating the TV's aspect ratio was 16:9 and it needed to stretch the video to fill the screen. I replied to explain how aspect ratios work and why the problem wasn't the TV's need to stretch the video when it shouldn't, but it's inability to stretch it when it should. Other than that they're pretty good media players. They'll play just about anything.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A pet peeve of mine is posters saying they are running "the latest" rather than saying the actual version they are running.

So just to clarify, you are running ver.1019.0 released May 18, 2014?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-F5100/ZA
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, Thanks for everybody's reply.
    I had called the technical department at Samsung and I was told that this player will not play large MKV file burned on a Bluray Disc.
    I had noticed that the manufacturing date of this player was in May, 2014 and I believe that the firmware is the current one.
    I had returned the player to the sales agent and exchange an LG player (Model BDP-135)(latest model and also manufacturing date was May, 2014)
    and it plays everything, include the large MKV files without problems.
    For aspect ratio problem in MKV files, I always use mkvtoolnix (the Star Was Mine Version, I do not know the version number, you can download it from the internet) to fix the aspect ratio problem, please take note that only this version is working.
    I have older bluray player like Sony BDP-S380, it plays the large MKV Files without any problem even the firmware version is the oldest one without CINAVIA.

I will not consider to purchase any Samsung Bluray Player in future.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why they'd deliberately restrict the player to 4GB file sizes for MKVs burned to disc is beyond me. Mind you, I assume I shouldn't take anything tech support says too seriously until they prove otherwise (in general, not just Samsung). The number of times I've spoken to tech support staff who obviously don't have a clue....

Originally Posted by K.S.LEE View Post
    For aspect ratio problem in MKV files, I always use mkvtoolnix (the Star Was Mine Version, I do not know the version number, you can download it from the internet) to fix the aspect ratio problem, please take note that only this version is working.
    I can use MKVMergeGUI to change the aspect ratio okay (the version doesn't matter). The problem is, the Samsung players ignore it.

There's also a Sony Bluray player in this house (BDP-S480, pre-Cinavia) and my other half has a BDP-S360 (or maybe it's a 370, I can't remember). Hers is old enough to have no USB input for playing video, but it'll play MKVs/MP4s etc burned to disc. Both the Sony players obey the aspect ratios in MKV/MP4 files. Most probably do. I was just curious as to whether Samsung have seen the light yet. My Samsung players are a couple of years old.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So, do not buy Samsung TV/Bluray Player in future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I probably wouldn't if I knew they still didn't support aspect ratios correctly, which is why I asked the question.
    Although it doesn't bother me that much. I just resize everything to square pixels when re-encoding. Anamorphic support would still be nice though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Why they'd deliberately restrict the player to 4GB file sizes for MKVs burned to disc is beyond me.
    Most likely the firmware writers either forgot the possibility that someone might actually burn a larger than 4 GB file to a BD disc, so the firmware can't handle it, or due to what I like to call "dumbassery" they deliberately don't support it, because as we all know, nobody on earth burns to discs any more as discs are completely dead, don't exist, and 100% of human beings only stream their videos. I doubt that this was a deliberate "Heh heh, let's restrict file sizes on BD discs" as much as an oversight or they truly are stupid enough to honestly believe that nobody would ever do this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I like to burn the MKV Files on BD disc because the BD Blank Disc I purchase is quite cheap comparing with the HDD Drive and I like to collect movies.
    The BD disc is only about 60 sen (US dollars) (25GB)per disc and the brand name is DATARIGHT and I can burn 2-3 large MKV Files on a single disc, I buy it from the distributor in my country. Besides, I can watch the movies in 1080/24p. I also own a Media Player but I don't like to use it since it does not support 1080/24p and picture quality is not so good if compare with a BD Player like LG and SONY. The major letdown using a BD Disc is the CINAVIA
    and the SONY Older player cannot support the HD Audio when playing the MKV File (the Picture will freeze). Fortunately, not all movie studio
    support CINAVIA at the moment.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!