VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone I'm trying to make a movie with AVS2DVD. 10 titles in AVS and it says it will convert the file to about 12GB. I looked around and found that you can use ISO Magic/ 7Zip to compress it. It needs to go on an 8.5GB DVD I really don't want to split it up.

Side question with AVS: I thought the with the menu editor you could add multiple menus your own buttons and set what they do. Am I thinking of a different program?

Thanks for your time I hope this makes since/is even possible
    Last edited by Complete Novice; 1st Sep 2014 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ISO is just a container for burning, it can hold anything and means nothing in reference to your question.
    10 files ?
    Guessing you mean "video files" what kind of video files ?
    And you want them converted to what kind of video files ?
    To play on what ?
    A standard dvd player, a PC ?

Anything is "possible" but assuming a lot here seeing as you basically gave no real info, it would depend on how much quality you wanted, how long the videos are, bitrate, resolution, what type to what type, etc etc etc.
    You could compress 50, 2 hour DVD movies to fit onto one DL DVDR but they would look like crap!!

Try saying what you have and what you want to end up with for what purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay the files are MP4 Video files 1280x720 I want to keep the same resolution if possible and I want them converted to anything that can be put on a DVD. DVD Player the videos are ~1hr long. so I'm trying to put 10 hours on the 8.5 I know this is a stretch I just wanna see if its possible
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As Noahtuck already told you, it is possible (10+ hours of "DVD-Video player" capable video on an 8.5GB disc), but it will look like crap.
    Unless by some chance your stuff is extremely low framerate + extremely low color palette + heavily noise-reduced + blocky (like crude anime). And then it will look like slightly better crap.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So not possible unless I use a Blu ray disk -sigh- thanks for the help anything about the AVS question I had? If Im not going to fill the disk up I would like to make a fancier menu current one just has thumbnails.

EDIT: DVDStyler is the name
    Last edited by Complete Novice; 1st Sep 2014 at 20:32.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Load the files into handbrake and use constant quality at 24,it should let you have 10 hours+ in 5+ files.If you are going to watch the videos on a regular dvd player then you need to encode them as dvd-video and author them after.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Complete Novice View Post
    Okay the files are MP4 Video files 1280x720 I want to keep the same resolution if possible and I want them converted to anything that can be put on a DVD. DVD Player the videos are ~1hr long. so I'm trying to put 10 hours on the 8.5 I know this is a stretch I just wanna see if its possible
    You cannot keep the original resolution, 1280x720 if you author a video DVD with AVStoDVD, DVDStyler, or any other DVD authoring program. ...and no matter what you do you do, if you try to make an authored DVD with 10 hours of video, even using a dual-layer DVD you need to understand the resulting video will be disappointing, for the reasons you were already told. ...but there is more.

AVStoDVD and DVDStyler are video to DVD converters and authoring programs. They create video DVDs according to the DVD spec, which means the maximum resolution allowed is 720x480 for NTSC or 720x576 for PAL. However, at those resolutions, a 16:9 aspect ratio is allowed, which is what your originals have. ...but if you reduce the resolution, which is probably going to be necessary to get 10 hours of video on one dual-layer DVD, 4:3 is the only aspect ratio allowed. ...which means, your 16:9 videos will be letter boxed in a 4:3 frame.

AVStoDVD can make basic menus. DVDStyler can make menus that are a bit fancier.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Sep 2014 at 09:41. Reason: correction I wrote resolution when I meant aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!