VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Our new SONY BRAVIA Tv has a USB facility and id like to store video files on a USB stick and watch them on the TV . What is the best format in terms of PICTURE QUALITY to use......
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by efiste2 View Post
    Our new SONY BRAVIA Tv has a USB facility and id like to store video files on a USB stick and watch them on the TV . What is the best format in terms of PICTURE QUALITY to use......
    If there are no restrictions placed on the file size, any format that the TV plays is going to be capable of delivering both excellent PQ and terrible PQ depending on how the video is encoded and the resolution used.

It is probably best to look the manual and find out what kinds of files the TV can play, how the video and audio in those files may be encoded, the resolutions allowed, and if there are any restrictions on the file size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to also consider whether or not any input through the USB will upscale to HD. Most new DVD and Blu-ray players will upscale the picture to HD through the USB input, which vastly improves the picture quality. If the USB input on the TV does not you should should consider mp4 or MKV as a format, if the TV input will play that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Read the tv manual and see what type of videos it supports,my moms 46 inch Samsung bought 2 years ago will play all types of video's such as mkv and mp4 with h.264 codec as long as there is no head stripping or profile higher than 4.1.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. TV's with built-in media players and Bluray players with USB inputs tend to support h264 video encoded with a maximum of high profile, level 4.1. The vast majority of h264 video you'll come across fits into that category.

They all tend to support Dolby Digital (AC3), MP3 and AAC audio. DTS support is common, but not universal in TV media players.

They usually play audio/video in an MKV or MP4 container, as well as older formats such as Xvid encoded video in AVIs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The older tvs with a usb media player only support mpeg1 and 2 such as my Sony KDL46BX420,being only 3 years old you thought they would have had more video options for usb playback.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!