VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! I am in need to translate the audio of some videos from one language (English) to another (Greek). Could you please tell me if there is any efficient way to do it? I understand that the trivial way would be to try to record the Greek audio following the video's picture and trying to synchronize my speech. I believe, though, that there must be some methods or tools out there (hopefully free! - or not) that could assist me with the task of sychronizing the translated audio to video (like for example, being able to provide me the ability to bookmark regions of the video with hinds about when and for how long I should speek - or using some other technique that I do not know). Do you know, for example, how they do it when they dub localize a film in a foreign language?
    Quote Quote  
  2. For dramatic films actors "loop" line by line in a studio, reading to pictue until the read and the timing are correct. For documentaries it is common to have the script read "wild" and best takes selected, then cut individually into a new track to time.

This is usually done with a digital audio workstation and a video chase file. Most NLEs can do it too. Try Reaper or Adobe Audition or Vegas Movie Studio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Iow, NO. No real shortcuts.

Scott

<edit>Hmm, I guess you could automate some of that with a subtitle text translation, then a text-to-speech playback+record, followed by an actual voice overdub-along, but that's getting to the point of not being a shortcut either.</edit>
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 31st Aug 2014 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi guys! Thank you for replying. I sorry I could not reply earlier. That is strange indeed. You say that there are not any programs that could help automate this procedure (like for example to let you place bookmarks to be uses as signs or letting you syncronize different track portions)?

I will check some of the programs you mention smrpix. Isn't there any program that unifies the functions Cornucopia mentions targeting at dubbing and translation procedures?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No.

Not even advanced ADR plugins like Vocalign ($$$) will automate to the level you are asking. It's too complex and variable to be done automatically and HAS to be done by hand to be done right.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!