VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was having trouble with my Samsung HDD/DVD recorder which would only produce dvds that would play on Samsung dvd players. I therefore bought an external freeview card and managed to get tv on my pc. I even managed to record a 30 min program onto my hdd. From what I read, MPEG2 seemed to be the best dvd format so I used a video converter to trim the video and convert it to MPEG2. However, conversion went on for hours and hours. I sought advice and reset Preferences in my program, checked my video card was up to date and GPU enabled, etc but I have yet to convert this video. I have to give up after 14 hours so that I can go to bed!! At the same time I read of users of the same program bitterly complaining that it takes them 2 hours to convert! I've obviously got a problem. My PC was made for me by a local company. It has a Giga Byte GA-H61M-DS2 motherboard with an Intel Pentium CPU G2030@ 3.00GHz dual core processor. It has an Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT video card with GPU. It only has 2 Gb Ram but I think it can take as much as 16 on that motherboard. What should I spend money on to get to the giddy heights of 2 hour Video conversion? a more expensive video card? a four core processor? Or Lots of RAM? I would be very grateful for advice. Also, I have travelled around TV capture software and other video programs and I am completely baffled by all the initials. Is there a publication that could explain video based computing in simple language?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go back to your dvd recorder and change the recording mode from 'Video Recording' to 'Video'.

With the first mode, which applies to all dvd-recorders and not just Samsung, your disks only play on identical machines. With the second mode, this creates standard dvd-video disks which play in almost ALL machines (apart from some quite old ones that only play either -R or +R disks).

That should be explained in the manual but it is a common mistake to make.

And, no, no conversion should take that long. Even with a slow cpu and yours is not too slow, a 30 min recording should convert in 30 mins.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Something is wrong with the software. A 30 minute video shouldn't take more than a hour or so to encode as MPEG2 on a lowly dual core CPU. Try different software.

Regarding the DVD recorder: record on DVD+R or DVD-R and finalize the discs (finalizing writes the master table of contents). They should then play on almost all DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!