VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.. I desire to create (black) borders in either Movie Studio 12 or 13, both vertically and/or horizontally, but independently of each other.

The only option I can find is the "Border" visual effect, however it creates a scalable border which is both vertical and horizontal (a "box", if you will). Invariably, either the vertical or the horizontal border is too thick or not thick enough; the aspect cannot be altered. I need to find a way to set the thickness to create an apparent aspect of my own choosing.

I couldn't find an answer to this in the forums, perhaps this functionality is impossible, but any input would be appreciated.

(Interestingly, Adobe Premiere 6.0 allowed independent border settings for all four sides of a video and that's an ancient product. I'm surprised Movie Studio 12 or 13 doesn't seem to allow such flexibility, for all its capabilities otherwise.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. One way is to overlay borders (e.g. put the borders on a track above; you can use internally generated media and use a mask, or even import them from elsewhere like your image editor)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Actually, masking isn't available in the "movie studio" version is it ?

Easiest way then is to import your borders from an image editor. They don't have to be precise, you can position them within movie studio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Turn off Aspect Ratio Lock and use the Pan/Crop tool. You will want to overcrop it, and that will create borders however you want. Think of it as a zoom out instead of a Pan/Crop. The black background becomes the border.

The reason Premiere has that as a separate "tool" is because a lot of Apple people use Premiere. And so it looks like it has more tools to them.
    Last edited by budwzr; 29th Aug 2014 at 20:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Turn off Aspect Ratio Lock and use the Pan/Crop tool. You will want to overcrop it, and that will create borders however you want. Think of it as a zoom out instead of a Pan/Crop. The black background becomes the border.
    That works too. And "Stretch to Fill Frame" set to "no"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, yeah, good call Chief. Luckily you caught that faux pas.

If the Ope wants to crop the actual media, using borders, then simply use Pan/Crop in the usual way. Then use TrackMotion to position the result. TrackMo and Pan/Crop are complementary tools that work together often.

What's so great about Vegas is there's multiple ways to skin the cat, and from different levels. Premiere is more step1, step2, step3, and then uh-oh gotta go back.

Vegas is like the 3D chess on StarTrek. And Spock would come up with a doozie from time to time, then Kapt Koik would make a face at Bones...
    Last edited by budwzr; 29th Aug 2014 at 21:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both...! With your input, I've been able to devise a solution to my issue which is easy to execute.

After setting my background color to black, I opened the Pan/Crop function, deselected "Lock Aspect Ratio" and dragged the (left) crop selector until it covered both the left and right ragged vertical edges of my 1.33:1 source video; both edges adjusted simultaneously. (No cropping whatsoever of the top or bottom of the frame occurred.)

Next, I opened the "Border" transition effect and created a similar sharp edge on both the top and bottom of the frame. It did not visually effect the already-cropped vertical edges, of course, as those edges were corrected with a far wider border with the Pan/Crop.

This combination of the two effects worked perfectly in test renderings. I badly needed the solution for both 1.33:1 video and 8mm film captured off a projection screen.

For the record, I find the "Border" function works fine all by itself when I desire a proportional edge for 16:9 material.

Thanks again for your quick replies and allowing me to find a workable solution.

I always found the 3D chess fascinating...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Once you play with each tool a while, and get them stored in your brain, a flower opens up in your mind.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!