VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I download files no problem using get_iplayer
    The files are saved as mp4

However I'm told that due to DRM protection I cannot save them for posterity ...they will self destruct after 30 days.

Several links followed on lne but most come back to Amerisoft/Danusoft/Convertiplayer ....... but that is not free.

Are there any free utilities to remove DRM and presumably re-encode as 'clean' mp4 format
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I read that as well

What I have done is simply move the downloaded file to a different location (from the default download folder created by get_iplayer) and my downloads survived.

Have not done this for some time so it may no longer work.

As for removing the DRM, that methinks is a taboo question.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only way I know of in this type of case to deal with DRM is not to actually remove it, but to instead use a streaming media recorder that records the video in real time while it plays and saves it. The final saved file will not have DRM. You will have to buy a program to do this. I don't think there are any free programs that can do it very well. This is actually how the "DRM remover" programs really work. They play the file in real time in a way so that you aren't aware it's actually playing (no obvious display of the playing file) and they record it in real time. "Real time" means 1 hour of video takes 1 hour to record. I've never heard of any programs that can actually remove BBC DRM, but to be honest with you as I live in the USA I can't say I have done exhaustive research on the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    they will self destruct after 30 days.
    If you watch in iPlayer using a web browser, you can download the .flv version using something like Internet Download Manager.

See attached image showing the download of episode 3 of the dreadful "Boomers". Yuck.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014.08.30_15h53m03s_001_37- BBC iPlayer - Boomers - Episode 3-flv.jpg
Views:	10878
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	27166  

Last edited by mike20021969; 30th Aug 2014 at 12:11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    they will self destruct after 30 days.
    If you watch in iPlayer using a web browser, you can download the .flv version using something like Internet Download Manager.

See attached image showing the download of episode 3 of the dreadful "Boomers". Yuck.
    The BBC may have just updated it's DRM so this program wouldn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    I download files no problem using get_iplayer
    The files are saved as mp4

However I'm told that due to DRM protection...
    If the files are downloaded with get_iplayer v2.94 they don't have any DRM protection.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!