VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using DVDFab and I'm wondering around what percentage shrink will I notice a difference in picture quality.

Example: say I'm ripping movie only and DVDFab tells me that if I put the movie on a DVD5, the compression ratio is 90%, is this going to be super noticeable when watching the movie. I fully understand that quality will be lost, but where's the threshold? I know I could experiment, but I didn't want to waste time and money if one you smart guys already knows the answer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Noticeable? Or Bothersome?

There is a range of percentages that give you a range of loss. In my experience with Shrink, you barely begin to notice at 97% and down til you get to 67-72%, where it becomes bothersome. Of course, YMMV greatly depending on the content's complexity and your own perception.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Considering that none of our experienced members would ever use DVDFab for shrinking a DVD to single layer, there's a chance that you might consider anything produced to be awful. We've had posts from very disappointed people who tried to use DVDFab for the task of shrinking.

If you care about quality, nothing can beat DVD-Rebuilder. You may need to find a guide to get it going but I've used the free version for years and nothing beats it.

The now ancient and not updated in many years DVD Shrink is probably the easiest program to use, but DVD-Rebuilder has it beat on quality. To be fair, many people can't tell any difference between the two programs, but from a technical standpoint what DVD-Rebuilder does should lead to better quality and what DVD Shrink does should lead to at least marginally worse quality. DVD Shrink runs faster because what it does isn't as good quality wise to shrink DVD rips.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you care about the quality of the video, i suggest you to clone the disc. it should be 1:1 output. If you compress the disc, there must be a quality loss. Usually, little quality loss may not cause trouble. But if you play the disc with HD TV, or on the big screen, you will get disappointed with the picture.
    Real media really matters. Just get BD DVD discs and say NO to online stream media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm using DVDFab and I'm wondering around what percentage shrink will I notice a difference in picture quality.

Example: say I'm ripping movie only and DVDFab tells me that if I put the movie on a DVD5, the compression ratio is 90%, is this going to be super noticeable when watching the movie. I fully understand that quality will be lost, but where's the threshold? I know I could experiment, but I didn't want to waste time and money if one you smart guys already knows the answer!
    The answer is probably that there IS no answer, just opinions as to what constitutes acceptable lossiness--if it is noticeable at all.

Contrary to the purists who tend to think anything other than 100% of original approaches worthlessness, I have no qualms about compressing to 55% of original without worrying my eyeballs will melt. (I can hear the screams of the purists toward their computer screens now!!) To be fair to the "purists," many ARE professional videographers who MUST be concerned about high quality. For consumers sitting in their recliners, it may be far less important.

Beauty [video quality and suitability] is ALWAYS in the eye of the beholder. If you're planning on showing something on a 100-inch screen, the impact of compression becomes more noticeable (not necessarily more bothersome) the more you compress.

jman98's comment notwithstanding (and he IS something of a pro in this field), I consider myself enough of an "experienced member" to shrink to a SL disc and decide for myself what is suitable quality, as should you. My uncalibrated eyeballs, sitting about 10 feet away from a 50-inch HDTV screen, seldom notice any compression distractions at the 55% level, and I DO use DVDShrink. I'm not looking for perfection, just watchability.

Using a DVDRW disc for your own tests, it's simple enough to compress some video at various compression levels to decide for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Usually, if theres much compression, I will, using 'shrink', split a flick in half & burn them to 2 dvd-5's. Wait! yes, I rip the 'movie only' to do this. Actually, even when the rip would fit on dvd-5's, I still rip only the movie. I, for one, dont need all that comes with most menus.

typically, I rip everything to iso's, (I have, Argosy, my fave!, a wd live smp, a bit of a joke, A Dune, <- a little better, & today I got a roku '3', a big mistake, <- it goes back, SOON!), only burn to take flicks with me to elsewhere.
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Personally, I would never "encode/transcode" using DVDFab. I would strip/copy the movie and then use a more advanced method for encoding. But that's just my two cents

If you don't mind losing the extras, by ripping the main movie only it could already be under the DVD5 size. Another thing to consider.

As jman98 posted, DVD Shrink is still a legend software even though it's ancient lol
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!