VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wanting to buy a PS3 to play games. But, I can't seem to decide which one of these capture devices is best for my wants and needs.

Each device has their own pros and cons. The Elgato has a cool "Flashback" feature, but the max bit rate is 30Mbps, and it also has a hardware/on-board H264 encoder when capturing and editing. The Intensity Shuttle has no "Flashback" feature, unknown max bit rate, no hardware/on-board encoder, although it does have more file format/codecs when capturing, but it also has drawbacks based on reviews on this device. Such as a flickering issue and it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't with various degrees of success for other people as it varies from person to person. For capturing, I'm going with Component cables instead of HDMI because of HDCP. I'm torn between the two devices.

I'm an average person when it comes to computers and technology in general. Although I do know a few things. My Mac Mini is a late 2012, with an Intel Core i7 quad-core processor, 1TB HDD, and stock 4GB of RAM.

Please help me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you answered your own question. Your chances of success are better with the Elgato Game Capture HD. You already know that the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle is very finicky regarding its system requirements and capricious even when those appear to have been met, plus it is Windows 7 compatible but not OS X compatible, according to the manufacturer.

[Edit]It occurred to me that you might have been asking about the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt, not the original Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle with a USB 3.0 interface. The Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt is OSX compatible but even so, most beginners have an easier time getting started with an HD capture device that hardware encodes.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Aug 2014 at 20:08.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!