VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My work flow is to create a tiny DVD using AVStoDVD using very short clips and a custom menu image then use the output as the base to customise using PgcEdit.
    I started adding titles to the project with PgcEdit when I noticed that I had forgotten to add the audio to the menu.
    Can anyone tell me how to add audio to the menu without rebooting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you want to add a motion menu with PGCedit you have to generate a DVD compliant MPEG2 file. You can use TMPGEnc to encode your image and the audio track; use the DVD template.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, but I already created the required menu (a still); my problem is that I omitted to add the audio track and I want to add audio to it now without recreating it .
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD specifications allow only video and audio muxed together. It has to be prepared before loading into PGCedit (if PGCedit can alter that video, not sure what the procedure is).

Even if you make menu with still picture and audio, when DVD is generated, video and audio is muxed together, where video is just still picture. You cannot separate video and audio (like in flash for example).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can demux the menu ('Single Cell/Menus' ) using PgcDemux.
    Of course in my instance there is no audio, but .m2v and .sup files are generated.
    It's getting the video, sup and new audio into a new menu to replace the existing silent menu that's my problem.
    I will look at nic2k4's mention of a motion menu or perhaps use VobBlanker to replace my existing silent menu with a Title VOB generated by MuxMan.
    I'm assuming that the resultant 'menu' would still not have audio listed, but the actual .VOB file when played back, would.

When an existing menu is replaced using PgcEdit, all of the instructions change (because the new Menu has a new IFO?).
    I wonder out loud if the existing instructions could be saved out of PgcEdit then imported back with the new menu.

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Still Menu = 1VOBU = I-frame Mpeg Still = duration: 1 frame with infinite loop

Still Menu + Audio = Much more than 1 VOBU. Mpeg Still may still be I-frame, etc., but duration is now length of audio.

Video/Motion Menu (w/or w/o Audio = More than 1 VOBU, duration is now length of video/audio (whichever is longer?)

They all work differently. While it probably is POSSIBLE to insert the Audio and re-work the structure, tools & methods would be complex and it would probably take more effort & time than just reloading as new Still+Audio menu and re-compiling.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a PITA.
    I can replace the silent menu with a vob using VobBlanker, and create the buttons and locations in PgcEdit, but they have no highlights (because I only used a bmp and no .sub/.sst files in MuxMan?).
    So I'll start again.
    Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    It is a PITA.
    ...but they have no highlights (because I only used a bmp and no .sub/.sst files in MuxMan?).
    Why didn't you? And I take it you mean SUP and not SUB, which Muxman doesn't support.

And doesn't AvsToDVD create some sort of a project file? I do exactly the same as you - author a short DVD (in DVDAuthorGUI) and if it's good, later replace the PGC in PGCEdit with the real video. If I screw up, redoing it by loading the project file takes all of about 2 minutes. The buttons don't have to be recreated. Of course, I haven't forgotten to add audio before so maybe that would require beginning again from scratch, not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    I can demux the menu ('Single Cell/Menus' ) using PgcDemux.
    Of course in my instance there is no audio, but .m2v and .sup files are generated.
    It's getting the video, sup and new audio into a new menu to replace the existing silent menu that's my problem.
    I will look at nic2k4's mention of a motion menu or perhaps use VobBlanker to replace my existing silent menu with a Title VOB generated by MuxMan.
    I'm assuming that the resultant 'menu' would still not have audio listed, but the actual .VOB file when played back, would.

When an existing menu is replaced using PgcEdit, all of the instructions change (because the new Menu has a new IFO?).
    I wonder out loud if the existing instructions could be saved out of PgcEdit then imported back with the new menu.

Thank you for your help.
    You solved your problem all by yourself. Though I was saying to make a new menu by encoding your menu image and the audio, then recreating the menu, your way is just as easy; take your demuxed files, remux them with an MP2 audio file and use VOBblanker to swap it in. I haven't replaced menus like that in years so I'm hazy on the details, I used IFOedit then (I think this is the guide I used for inspiration, at least for IFOedit). I believe VOBblanker has the same functionality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I've been deathly ill.
    Yes, just so long as I remember to save the original menu button settings and colour scheme, it goes quite fast.
    I used VobBlanker for the switch.
    In PgcEdit you have to set the audio stream in the 'PGC Editing' window, else the audio doesn't play back in the menu 'Preview' screen - although it doesn't seem to affect finished DVD playback.
    Thanks for the link to the guide.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!