VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    For anyone who has ever watched Mystery Science Theater 3000 (or their new site RiffTrax.com) a buddy and I are trying to make our own riff of a movie. For those that don't know what that is: we are simply creating an MP3 track with jokes making fun of a movie that people sync up with their own copy of the movie. The thing is, we can't just go through and record the entire track in one take. We need to record most of the jokes individually to get the delivery down and etc. So what we need is a rip of the movie to make sure we have everything in sync. The two methods I've tried are a screen recording of VLC playing back the DVD on my PC normally using a program called Mirillis Action and the second method being a straight up rip using Freemake video converter. I attempted to use Handbrake but after it scans the disc it says there is no source so I never got to use that. The problem I found is that the video gets progressively more out of sync with the actual DVD the longer it goes.

TLDR: I need to rip a DVD as accurately as possible (the timing, not visually).

Thanks for any help here!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try MakeMKV. They make it almost impossible for inexperienced users to figure this out, but you CAN actually use the free version forever, not just for the trial period of 30 days or whatever it is. Just keep installing the latest and greatest free version and it resets the clock. That will get the DVDs into an MKV file you can use for your purposes.

The old DVDDecrypter MIGHT work, depending on the type of copy protection used on the DVDs. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably will work. If you get errors then you have to use something else. You should probably rip in IFO mode - note that I did NOT say ISO but IFO. You can find guides on how to do this.

A commercial alternative that would work for sure is AnyDVD, but I think between the two free programs I suggested you'll find something that works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Try MakeMKV. They make it almost impossible for inexperienced users to figure this out, but you CAN actually use the free version forever, not just for the trial period of 30 days or whatever it is. Just keep installing the latest and greatest free version and it resets the clock. That will get the DVDs into an MKV file you can use for your purposes.

The old DVDDecrypter MIGHT work, depending on the type of copy protection used on the DVDs. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably will work. If you get errors then you have to use something else. You should probably rip in IFO mode - note that I did NOT say ISO but IFO. You can find guides on how to do this.

A commercial alternative that would work for sure is AnyDVD, but I think between the two free programs I suggested you'll find something that works.
    Ok so I downloaded MakeMKV and converted the DVD to an MKV file but Sony Vegas does not accept MKV so I guess I need to convert it now? Do you know of a good program for video conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1. Install AnyDVD and rip DVD to hard drive.
    2. Install VOB2MPG and join VOB files of main movie. Export the large mpeg-2 file. There won't be any quality loss.
    3. Load it into Vegas and edit accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by John_Abraham View Post
    Ok so I downloaded MakeMKV and converted the DVD to an MKV file but Sony Vegas does not accept MKV so I guess I need to convert it now? Do you know of a good program for video conversion?
    Your original post did not anywhere state that you needed to do this in Vegas, so sorry, but I'm not so good at mind reading. But I did also tell you that you might look into old DVDDecrypter and rip in IFO mode. If it works, you won't have to do the AnyDVD (not free, by the way) + VOB2MPG steps but can get to the same place at once with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    MakeMKV just changes the container format, it doesn't re-encode or convert anything. So you still have the original mpeg2 found in DVD-video in the mkv file you made.

If you want an mpeg2 file out of the mkv you've already ripped, you can use AVStoDVD to output to a "muxed mpeg2 file" instead of the DVD-video it normally makes. AVStoDVD won't re-encode streams that are already compliant to DVD-video, so this should be quick, and no loss of quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    1. Install AnyDVD and rip DVD to hard drive.
    2. Install VOB2MPG and join VOB files of main movie. Export the large mpeg-2 file. There won't be any quality loss.
    3. Load it into Vegas and edit accordingly.
    With Vegas , you can skip step 2, Vegas (surprisingly) has a feature that loads DVD and copies title into long mpg file (stores it into temp folder or something).
    Sure I'd use vob2mpeg preferably myself as you mentioned, just to be sure about delay and other things, but I thought it might be mentioned here. Vegas direct load is handy with unprotected DVD's , like home videos, and there is a chance that it could be rendered smart as well. Well this feature was designed for camcorder generated DVD's anyway.
    Last edited by _Al_; 28th Aug 2014 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Your original post did not anywhere state that you needed to do this in Vegas, so sorry, but I'm not so good at mind reading. But I did also tell you that you might look into old DVDDecrypter and rip in IFO mode. If it works, you won't have to do the AnyDVD (not free, by the way) + VOB2MPG steps but can get to the same place at once with DVDDecrypter in IFO mode.
    Sorry. I should have said that originally. I'm just really confused at this point because there are so many ways to do this. I tested the MKV file from AnyDVD and it's already a few seconds off without any conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry. I should have said that originally. I'm just really confused at this point because there are so many ways to do this. I tested the MKV file from AnyDVD and it's already a few seconds off without any conversion.
    AnyDVD doesn't produce an mkv file. Do you mean the mkv file made by MakeMKV? There should be no changes in this mkv file in playback vs the DVD-video.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!